Can overhead service wire be run inside conduit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I have read through this thread a couple of times and I am thinking things got off track part way through. In the fourth post, leejosepho describes the wire. It is a single stranded wire i.e., one #6 wire). It does not appear to be SER or multiconductor. It is copper. His garage is attached so it is not hanging over a span. It is rated THWN-2 which I think means it is ok for underground conduit (although there is no indication that the proposed use includes this) and use to 90*. It would think it ought to be in conduit because as he wants to use it it is simply 4 THWN single wires. Certainly for protection if it is exposed.

Does this make sense?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Yes, I probably confused things by asking about a second kind of wire in a thread originally asking about overhead service wire.

My garage and workshop are attached to the house, so I need to run four wires to a panel that will not be bonded. My boss has a piece of twisted service wire I could use, but that would have to be in conduit and I would have to add an insulated neutral since the ground (service neutral) is already bare.

To be more practical, the second piece of wire I have mentioned is #6 AWG, and it could be run as four strands in conduit as long as the ends are color-coded (black/black/white/green). But, maybe the SER wire Chris has mentioned can be run through walls without conduit?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Why dont you just go buy some 2/3 SER cable? good for 90 amps ...

You got me to thinking there, and I have decided to just go ahead and get whatever I need to replace my existing main (100-amp) panel with a 200-amp panel, and to then move the 100-amp panel to the workshop as a sub. I will let you know what wire the guys at the supply house recommend ...

Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks