Can one wet vent, vent a toilet sink and tub. if so show me a drawing

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Venting the toilet with 2", and with that 2" vent, pull off the tub, and above that, the lav.
This drawing shows either, but I have also plumbed both the lav and the tub off of the W/C vent and that is code.

dwv_b1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can vent the bathroom with one 2" vent.
It stacks like this, toilet on the bottom, then tub, then lav.
You can go 42" on a 1.5" trap arm to the tub and also to the lav.

marla-remodel-01.jpg

Or this on the horizontal works too.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Under the IPC you can wet vent two bath groups off a single 1-1/2" vent

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Under the IPC, you can do almost anything you want to, and if it is not permitted, you just make an application for change and it will be added to the code. But, I am sure even the IPC has some limitations on HOW the piping has to be arranged so two groups can use one "wet vent".

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Under the IPC you can wet vent two bath groups off a single 1-1/2" vent
Under the IPC, you can do almost anything you want to

What's even more concerning is HOW the IPC permits you to do this. Having tried hard to learn the "right" (meaning guaranteed-effective) way to vent stuff, I am bewildered by what the IPC now says is an adequate arrangement to vent two entire bath groups, including WCs. WHERE the vent can be connected makes no sense to me. (This came up and was discussed in another thread.)

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not? Just how much ventilation do you think it takes to vent essentially a single 3" drain? Most times both bath groups will be sharing a single 3" drain and most codes say you need a vent that is half the size of the horizontal drain. When you look at the numbers, a single 1-1/2" vent is more than adequate. Toilets don't need vents. They are a full siphoning fixture in which the entire surface area of the bowel is effectively the vent. Codes that still require a separate toilet vent are grossly outdated.

Revcbt

Reaction score
Well said. I clicked into this convo because the title caught my interest related to a job I did a few years back. A few years ago I plumbed a shower, laundry, sink, w/c and lavatory on a single 1.5 vent 3" waste. I reviewed IBC repetedly to ensure I wasn't risking a major problem and didnt see any reason I couldn't. 2 years later with heavy use no problems, I discovered the roof vent had never been uncapped. Shocked, I put it through a series of tests and the shower trap and toilet would tidal a bit but thats all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks