Can neutral and ground from 50A breaker be shared

Users who are viewing this thread

rosem637

Reaction score
A run in 1" plastic conduit from the main panel to power a stove and a microwave. So individual conductors will be used.

Stove is on 50A breaker with #8 wire, microwave on 20A breaker with #12 wire.

The 1" plastic conduit will be run to a junction box and will contain four #8 conductors(red,black,white ,green) and one #12 conductor(blue).

Question is....in the junction box can the #8 neutral and ground be connected to #12 neutral and groung conductors for the run to the microwave?

Kind of like the diagram. Although I did not show the red and black for the stove continuing because it was getting crowded in the drawing.

Attachments

• 45634.JPG
    45634.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I guess this post was before a answer was given on the other forum.

"No, you cannot do that."

Be Careful playing with electricity.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The logical answer would be that there is NOTHING on either appliance that "needs" a #8 neutral, and the ground in a JB is often a common for everything in it.

rosem637

Reaction score
Not quite.

Yes quite.

Answer on other forum acknowledged at 0829. This post on this forum started at 0816.

Do not know why the concern on how and when and where this question was posted. For info it was also posted on two other forums.

Thanks

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Yes quite.

Answer on other forum acknowledged at 0829. This post on this forum started at 0816.

Do not know why the concern on how and when and where this question was posted. For info it was also posted on two other forums.

Thanks

I think that a GFCI will be required for your install.

If you start sharing Neutrals strange things can happen.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks