Can mosaic tiles go on the floor?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Ecoman, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Ecoman

Ecoman New Member

I really love the mosaic tiles patterns...the colors and glaze of it is amazing! i want to install it in my bath but don't know how to calculate the quantity i would need ...actually now that i think about it i realize they came in standard size of 1by 1, so i guess i just need to see how many square footage i`v got.
    So i have this question solved!

But my next question is - can they go on the floor ...they look so fragile?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The bigger problem is slippery. Tiles for the floor have a different glaze. Wall tiles tend to be way to slippery for satisfactory use on the floor.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are numerous mosaics rated for floor use - this depends on how durable the tile and glaze is. If it is only rated for a wall, then no, do not use it on a floor. A floor rated tile can be used either location, but a wall rated tile should only be used on a wall. Often, the numerous grout lines with mosaics make it less slippery than a larger tile. There is an industry standard for floor tile, I-V (1-5), with V (5) rated for commercial use. This rating has nothing to do with how slippery it is, but on how well it stands up to wear.
  4. Alyssa

Alyssa New Member

You should be able to find a lot of options for mosaic floor tiling. Floor tiles & wall tiles have a different finish so I wouldn't recommend using tiles meant for walls on your floor.
  5. Ecoman

Ecoman New Member

got it! so i will use mosaic tile with a different finish for the floor...something not slippery. thanks
  6. moseslove

moseslove New Member

you can find the mosaic tile for the floor here
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. moseslove

moseslove New Member

if you need some ideas
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  8. John Shum

John Shum New Member

We just asked this question and received a lot of the same answers about it being too slippery - BUT, we went ahead and did it anyways, and it's been great. Check out our glass mosaic bathroom tile.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; BUT, we went ahead and did it anyways

A PERFECT example of someone who asks a question and keeps asking it until he either gets an answer he wants, or decides to IGNORE all the expert opinions and do what he intended to begin with.
  10. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

After looking at the pictures that floor does look like a matt finish.
  11. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

For a given tile size, a mosaic will be less 'slippery' because it has more grout lines, which aid in traction (at least in your bare feet). You must be careful in cleaning the grout during installation to ensure you don't dish out the grout line, though.
  12. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Using small glass tiles on a bathroom floor.

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014