Can leaking toilet be saved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redfern

Reaction score
I installed a Toto Drake toilet (CST744EG) and discovered a tiny leak in the bowl. It's a very slow drip, just enough to leave a small puddle on the floor if left overnight. In fact I can't even see a defect. I put the toilet up on blocks, and put a small amount of water in the bowl. The water soon started seeping from a protuberance on the bottom near the front of the toilet (see photo). It looks like they applied some sort of patching glaze there. They sent me a replacement bowl under warranty, and they don't want the leaking toilet back. Is there any reliable way to seal the leak and use the toilet? I hate to send a brand new toilet to the landfill.

Attachments

• Toto toilet closeup.JPG
    Toto toilet closeup.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 294

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not a pro but I bet all the pros would tell you what I will tell you. You have a leaking toilet bowl, so it is obviously defective. You have a new bowl sent to replace the old bowl, but don't want to use it? What would you do with the replacement bowl if you were able to to fix the old bowl? Mail it back? It would likely get broken in transit.

Replace the bowl, as the manufacturer intends for you to do, and move on. You would never be able to completely trust a patched toilet bowl.

Redfern

Reaction score
Not a pro but I bet all the pros would tell you what I will tell you. You have a leaking toilet bowl, so it is obviously defective. You have a new bowl sent to replace the old bowl, but don't want to use it? What would you do with the replacement bowl if you were able to to fix the old bowl? Mail it back? It would likely get broken in transit.

Replace the bowl, as the manufacturer intends for you to do, and move on. You would never be able to completely trust a patched toilet bowl.
I do want to use the replacement bowl. I would use the patched one to replace another old toilet. Just wondering if there is a reliable way to patch a near microscopic defect.

Redfern

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. Just out of curiosity, what is the material that I say looks like a patch? There are three places that have been treated this way. Is it a patch placed at the factory?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks