Can I use unused tankless for heating?

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by john2129, Aug 4, 2010.

1. john2129

john2129 New Member

Retired
    I have a V-1 Burnham boiler with forced hot water heating. The tankless part has never been connected to anything. Can I plub this into my FHW system - I'll test for leaks first.

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

What's the point of using the tankless coil for space heating rather than the boiler itself? The tankless coil's heat exchanger, is not of infinite heat-exchange capacity, but is probably enough to handle moderate space heating loads. It's output capacity will depend on the temp you run the boiler at, which may be a a higher (==lossier, lower efficiency) temp than if running the heating system directly.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. john2129

john2129 New Member

Retired
    Sorry, I was not clear...

My boiler IS used for FHW space heating. Would it increase heating efficiency if I plumb the unused tankless coil into the space heating system. Thanks for your patience.