Can I use threaded pvc adapter for future modification?

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I am going to cut my horizontal branch from a vertical 2-3" wye for a new counter sink drain. I am thinking use two threaded adapters (see the photo please) in the horizontal line after the vertical wye for future modification. is it allowed?

Attachments

• IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 806

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is NOT the best idea, because there will be a "ridge" between the two threads, and if it DOES need modification some day, it is almost easier to just cut the pipe and start over with glued joints.

Trickydick

Reaction score
I am going to cut my horizontal branch from a vertical 2-3" wye for a new counter sink drain. I am thinking use two threaded adapters (see the photo please) in the horizontal line after the vertical wye for future modification. is it allowed?

Would this be a problem then if replacing a clean-out plug with a male adapter to extend my 4" drain? I'd have an awfu lot of 4" fittings to replace if I had to start over. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Again, it would not be the best way to do it, and whether you can even use the cleanout depends on whether it is a cleanout tee, or a plugged female adapter.

Trickydick

Reaction score
Again, it would not be the best way to do it, and whether you can even use the cleanout depends on whether it is a cleanout tee, or a plugged female adapter.

Sorry hj and diyfun, I ment my reply for hj's original response, but it went to the wrong place. But in reponse to hj's above reply, the clean out is on a female adapter. I was thinking of wrapping a hose clamp around the hub to protect it from the male adapter; shouldn't the male adapter work ok considering the fact that the clean-out could be removed at times to "clean-out" and replaced to continue functioning as intended?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Female pvc fittings can split eventually if you overtighten the male or there's any long-term tension on it; or, it could last forever. Safer to cut it off and use a coupling.

Trickydick

Reaction score
Female pvc fittings can split eventually if you overtighten the male or there's any long-term tension on it; or, it could last forever. Safer to cut it off and use a coupling.

Problem is when originally installed, the female hub was butted smack-up against the wye hub leaving no room to cut-off and attach a coupling; the other end of the wye is smack-up against another wye that connedts the main stack; I need to extend this 4" line. Check-out the aerial shot that I included. (sorry about the double photo)1219111906 - Copy - Copy.jpg1219111906 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Cut the female adapter off even with the hub and use a pasco 3" ram bit aka fitting saver. It will remove the rest of the adapter thats solvent welded in the wye. Then simply solvent weld your new pipe in.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm not sure how else you expected the clean-out to be installed into the wye...

It was never going to be installed in a way that would allow you to cut the threaded bit off and attach a coupling.

Instead of buying a fancy tool, just replace the whole wye...

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'm not sure how else you expected the clean-out to be installed into the wye...

It was never going to be installed in a way that would allow you to cut the threaded bit off and attach a coupling.

Instead of buying a fancy tool, just replace the whole wye...

Yeah I'm against doing things the easy way too......nevermind a tool designed to do whats being asked. Just replumb the lower half of the house.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Why would someone buy a specialty tool that they will only use once, when they could simply cut and glue in a new fitting?

If you're a pro and you expect to use a tool 100 times it makes sense.

Is replacing a wye really a large task for you?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Why would someone buy a specialty tool that they will only use once, when they could simply cut and glue in a new fitting?

If you're a pro and you expect to use a tool 100 times it makes sense.

Is replacing a wye really a large task for you?

From the pic its hub to hub with a combo. Whats the price of a 3x2 wye and a 3" combo and a couple couplings?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
That depends on where you live, and how far away the specialty one-time-use tool is as well as the premium you might be charged for it.

I could have done this in the time between the photo above being posted and your last comment, the fittings are easy to come by and cheap enough.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
That depends on where you live, and how far away the specialty one-time-use tool is as well as the premium you might be charged for it.

I could have done this in the time between the photo above being posted and your last comment, the fittings are easy to come by and cheap enough.

I dont recall him asking the cheapest way or the easiest way for you to do it. I think he wants to know how the easiest way for him to do the job without cutting the fittings out.

Trickydick

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all of the advise, but let me clear-up a few things.These fittings are all 4"-do they make a 4" fitting saver? Secondly, that 4x2x4 wye butts-up to a 4x4x4 wye; you can see the vertical stack going down in bottom part of the photo; what might a 4" pasco fitting saver cost? Why wouldn't the hose clamp help keep the hub from splitting? I would assume glueing in the adapter is out of the question

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well in that case the easiest way is to hire a plumber from Florida.

I think he lives in N.H. It probably would be better to get a local plumber in his area.

Ok thanks for all of the advise, but let me clear-up a few things.These fittings are all 4"-do they make a 4" fitting saver? Secondly, that 4x2x4 wye butts-up to a 4x4x4 wye; you can see the vertical stack going down in bottom part of the photo; what might a 4" pasco fitting saver cost? Why wouldn't the hose clamp help keep the hub from splitting? I would assume glueing in the adapter is out of the question

Yes a 4" fitting saver is made by pasco. I think they cost me around 40.00. 4" fittings are not cheap. The hose clamps may keep it from splitting....then again it may not.

You could always throw some pvc solvent on the male and female threads and screw them together quickly and let it set for a day or so. LOL

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If you aren't in a hurry, get that fitting saver, or get the better version the "pipe-hawg"...

They definitely make them in 4", and when you're done with it, Hackney will buy it from you.

Trickydick

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, didn't mean to cause such a fus; just looking for some friendly advise. you see I had alk my fittings and pipe ready to go and then I found this other info on the problems others have had with possible hub splittings. I think at this point I'll see what happens by using clamps on the hub and adapter; if it splits, then I can make the choice of using the pasco or replacing (2) 4" wyes. That being the case, any tips on using a fitting saver or is it self explanatory? Thanks again in advance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
http://www.pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf it's tapered so as long as you keep the thing straight, and have a powerful enough drill motor, it just reams out the pipe, leaving a socket you can then stick a new piece of pipe into. A threaded hub will have a lip that could be a place for crud to get caught. A straight pipe/coupling done properly, is fairly smooth with the ends aligned with no threads or other rough edges to catch things. Other companies make simlar tools. A glued joint ends up being essentially double thickness, welded together. A threaded joint relies on the strength of the somewhat thinner single layer. A solvent welded joint is a lot stronger and smoother going through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks