Can I use rubber washer in angle stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

jcallows

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a non-compression angle stop I'd like to install. Most people use teflon tape and pipe dope to create a water-tight seal on the threads. But I'm wondering why can't we just place a rubber washer on the seat of the inlet to create this seal? Please see the attached photo.

We could just lay the washer on the seat and then attach the valve to the spout. Once the valve is tightened, there should be a water-tight seal between the spout and the valve, am I right? This way we don't have to worry about using the messy teflon tape and pipe dope. Please let me know if this will work.

Thanks!

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 364

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

IF you could find a washer EXACTLY the right thickness so the valve was tight to the pipe and pressing on the washer it would work, but I do not know anyone who would really want to risk it. IF dope or tape is "messy", then it is because the user is messy, not the material.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Some valves are designed to use a washer in a hook-up like that, your valve is not. Your valve is designed to use the threads to seal. If you tried that I think you would have a leak most of the time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The valve has tapered threads. A fitting screwed into that would not bottom out close enough to squeeze a washer, unless it was quite thick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks