Can I use rubber washer in angle stop?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jcallows, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jcallows

jcallows New Member

Hi,

I have a non-compression angle stop I'd like to install. Most people use teflon tape and pipe dope to create a water-tight seal on the threads. But I'm wondering why can't we just place a rubber washer on the seat of the inlet to create this seal? Please see the attached photo.

We could just lay the washer on the seat and then attach the valve to the spout. Once the valve is tightened, there should be a water-tight seal between the spout and the valve, am I right? This way we don't have to worry about using the messy teflon tape and pipe dope. Please let me know if this will work.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

IF you could find a washer EXACTLY the right thickness so the valve was tight to the pipe and pressing on the washer it would work, but I do not know anyone who would really want to risk it. IF dope or tape is "messy", then it is because the user is messy, not the material.
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Some valves are designed to use a washer in a hook-up like that, your valve is not. Your valve is designed to use the threads to seal. If you tried that I think you would have a leak most of the time.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The valve has tapered threads. A fitting screwed into that would not bottom out close enough to squeeze a washer, unless it was quite thick