Can I use "in wall vent" instead of thru roof for shower?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by hawksnest, May 17, 2006.

1. hawksnest

hawksnest New Member

I've used an in-wall type vent (air valve) for a toilet before instead of venting through the roof. Would it work for a shower?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

There is no "in wall" vent that I know of. There is a vent called an AAV (air admitance valve) that can be used but yuo can not put it in a wall.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

And at least one vent pipe has to be extended through the roof. You cannot use all AAV's.
  4. Sluggo

Sluggo New Member

Oatey, for one, has a wall box with a louvered grate so that you can install it in the wall.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

That kind of makes it not sealed up in a wall. This is a box for the wall that has access for replacement, and allows air to get to the AAV.