Can I use both the shower & tub ports on a thermostatic valve?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by STyler, Sep 30, 2009.

1. STyler

STyler New Member

I'm looking at 3/4" thermostatic valves (currently the American Standard R540) and in all applications they show either the shower or the tub port being used with the other port plugged. Is there any reason I can't utilize both ports?

The application is a horse wash stall. The "shower" port would feed a hose reel ceiling mounted at the center of the stall. I'd like the tub port to feed a separate sillcock. The sillcock will be used for filling buckets to soak hoofs and as a backup for when the hose reel branch is shut down during freezing temperatures.
  2. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

You can use both ports but you will probably find a noticeable water temperature difference.

The benefit of a thermostatic valve is that you set it a specific temperature and then you don't have to worry about temperature fluctuations but when using both ports you can not guarantee that.
  3. STyler

STyler New Member

If I'm only use one or the other, never both at the same time, would it still be an issue? I'd like to set the proper temp for washing the horses (shower port) and mark the handle location then if I use the sillcock (tub port) and adjust the temperature, just return it to the marked position.
  4. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

Yes if your using just one at a time than no problem.
  5. STyler

STyler New Member

Thanks for the prompt help. Much appreciated.