Can I use a Saddle valve on PVC water pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by gideon, Aug 12, 2005.

1. gideon

gideon New Member

I'm installing a refrigerator with an ice maker in our church tonight. There aer only standard PVC water lines in the church house. Can I use the saddlevalve that came in the ice maker installation kit to tap into the PVC waterline? Or will it crack?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless

Gideon
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Throw the saddle valve in the trash and plumb the water line in right. You should put a shut off valve where you tap into the supply line, then reduce the size and adapt to the copper tubing. Saddle valves frequently develop leaks after being in use. The professional plumber on this venue all recommend against their use.
  3. thezster

thezster New Member

Gary is right on... but - if you decide against a proper re-do --- yes, the pvc will crack.... been there, done that - in my early days as a DIYer....
  4. gideon

gideon New Member

thanks for the FAST reply. I figured the plastic would crack. I can put in a valve but my kit has plastic tubing so I'm not too sure about what to do there. I should probably run some copper tubing directly to the valve on the back of the refrigerator.

thanks again!!!

Gideon
  5. plumguy

plumguy New Member

No, saddle valves are not recommended and actually are illegal around here.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You need to check carefully what type of pipe it is. It should not be the white PVC. It should be the off-white colored CPVC. The valves, fittings, and glue are different.
  7. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Saddle valves

Don't Use A Saddle Valve!!!!!!