Can I use a Fernco coupling on this angle?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Austin83, May 18, 2011.

1. Austin83

Austin83 New Member

I just happend to look under the house and find something that not only made me a little mad, but also made me chuckle. Someone was unable to get two sections of 4" PVC to connect due to a slight angle so they busted out some black duct tape. The section of 4" to the left in the picture is just being cradled by the tape, and it can be lifted up about an inch or so. My question is, can I use a flexible Fernco coupling to make the connection? The only thing going through that section of pipe is water from kitchen and bathroom sink. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Only if you like rodding your drain every other week or so.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You CAN, but since a Fernco is NOT supposed to be used in that location, because the rubber sleeve can settle just like the duct tape, you should NOT do it, but rather get the pipes into alignment first and then use the proper type of connector.
  4. Austin83

Austin83 New Member

I'll try to find a way to get them lined up. If at a very last resort, how bad would a Fernco coupling be if I built up some support under it to keep it from being suspended? I'm not trying to find an easy way out, I just have limited space to fit under the house and both sides of the pipes are connected making movement limited. This section of the pipe has no solid waste only water from two sinks.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

seems like by definition, because you have a 'peak' in the run, there must also be a 'valley'
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

We can't see everything there is to see, but if it were mine I would cut that entire branch loose to properly support it with hangars, ensuring the entire run was properly pitched.

It's better to do it right once and never have to worry about it again.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Aside for the problem of the uneven pipe, you don't seem to understand the type of connection you need. First, if you can get the peak out of it, and if you can a regular PVC couple on the the joint, that would be the best. If the latter is not possible, then the connector to use is NOT a neoprene sleeve with 2 hose clamps. Those are only to be use underground. (buried) The proper connector might be a Fernco BRAND, but would be a banded coupler. These have a wide single band over the entire sleeve. These will hold the joint in line. The first thing you have to do is get the thing straight (sloped away @ 1/4" per foot)
  8. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

There's a coupling on the right side and it appears that the pipe has pulled out of it so even a mission band ain't slipping over the coupling. Cut the mess out and do it right.