Can I use a different tank on a Toto Promenade?

Users who are viewing this thread

MtnM

Reaction score
It seems the Toto Promenade matches most of what I need to replace my 30 year old toilet (around 26" length, comfort height, gloss finish, 1.6 gallon flush).
But the tall tank looks strange. I live in a smaller home (900 sq ft), so I am very aware of space.

Can I use a different tank on the Promenade?

Thanks for a terrific forum. I've been learning a great deal.

Mike
Colorado

Wallijonn

Reaction score
The Drake round may be the better choice at 26+3/8",, (and try and cheat the distance from the wall by moving it as far back, via the bolt placement, as possible before thightening down the bolts,) but without ADA height, in which case you'd have to go with a 1" thick wood seat to get as much height as possible; no CEFIONTECT on the round, either.

The Ultramax elognated comes in at 26+1/2", regular height, with CEFIONTECT.

Easiest fix? Have the wife make a tank top slip-on cover for the Promenade, something that matches the window drapes. Yeah, I think the tank top looks hideous, too.

Toto doesn't make a round ADA toilet. So, if it's a must then you will need to look at AS and Kohler, to name two.

In my master bathroom I also had a shorter Briggs round toilet. The Drake is longer. But I still love it, it just looks sleek and svelt. After awhile I learned to love it. It makes getting into the shower just a little harder, but I'll take care of that if and when I re-model the shower.

Last edited:

MtnM

Reaction score
The Drake round may be the better choice at 26+3/8",, (and try and cheat the distance from the wall by moving it as far back, via the bolt placement, as possible before thightening down the bolts,) but without ADA height, in which case you'd have to go with a 1" thick wood seat to get as much height as possible; no CEFIONTECT on the round, either.

The Ultramax elognated comes in at 26+1/2", regular height, with CEFIONTECT.

Easiest fix? Have the wife make a tank top slip-on cover for the Promenade, something that matches the window drapes. Yeah, I think the tank top looks hideous, too.

Toto doesn't make a round ADA toilet. So, if it's a must then you will need to look at AS and Kohler, to name two.

In my master bathroom I also had a shorter Briggs round toilet. The Drake is longer. But I still love it, it just looks sleek and svelt. After awhile I learned to love it. It makes getting into the shower just a little harder, but I'll take care of that if and when I re-model the shower.

Thank you for the reply.
So, I'm guessing I can't mix and match a different tank with the Promenade?

Just for clarity I'm fairly certain the specs on the Ultramax elongated come in at over 28", and I need the round Ultramax MS853113 to get the 26.5" length.
I'm only picking the round versions because of the smaller length.

Rowan question: is there a version with a side flush lever?
I'm not a fan of the button flush.

Thanks.

Mike

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Rowan question: is there a version with a side flush lever?
I'm not a fan of the button flush.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst244ef_spec.pdf

cst244ef_zoom.jpg

TOTO Entrada comes in round and elongated, Universal Height
MaP 1000 grams

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/pdf/MS854114S MS853113S.pdf

Yep, you're right. I now see the two different part numbers listed - 28" for the MS854114S(G) elongated and 26.5" for the MS854113S(G) round.

You might be able to cheat the flange a little. That's not an ADA, though.

I wish Toto would sell spacers that raised the whole toilet 1/2". Or make a toilet that was 15.0" high, instead of 14+5/8". That would allow one to use a 1/2" plastic seat or a 1" wood seat, making the height 15+1/2" or 16". Some guys feel comfort height, or ADA 16" bowl height, without a seat, may be too tall. The Cadet Pro is 15" high, but compared to the Toto it looks hideous. imo. Give me the looks of the Drake or Drake II. I don't think I can ever go back to AS or Kohler toilets. Kohler and AS ADA toilets are even taller than Toto, at 16+1/2" bowl height, without seat, so that's a big plus in Toto's favor.

[edit]
BTW, no matter which Toto you buy you will probably want to buy the Toto toilet seat since many of the wood and plastic aftermarket seats may over hang the bowl. If it's wood you'd mark the circumference and use a band saw to make it flush and then a band saw to round the top edges. You won't be able to do that with plastic seats, though. Some AS or Kohler seats, for example, may fit flush, though. idkfs. Look at the specs again. The Toto seat adds 1" to the bowl height to end up at 15+5/8". Yeah, if it ended up exactly at 16.0" it probably would have been perfect, but...

https://terrylove.com/pdf/MS854114S MS853113S.pdf
Look at the diagrams closely.

Now read the part numbers, again. It looks like there's no CEFIONTECT with the round. You'll have to do what I do - treat the bowl with "Invisible Shield" every six months.

Or go with the Promenade. :>(

I'd be willing to bet that if you do install the MS853113S that you will be tickled pink, both with the looks and function and will probably feel relieved that you didn't go with the two piece Promenade. But, as I said, if you do decide to go with the Promenade then all you need to do is to make a slip-on cover for it and it'll be out-of-mind.

And if you compromise on height and on CEFIONTECT you might as well just go with the Drake CST743S with the Toto seat.

That Entrada may be an option since it has the Drake sweeping trap way which is essential for a good flush, has an excellent water spot size (88 square inches, about the same as the Drake), is ADA at 16.125". If it doesn't flush good enough for you you should be able to swap in the G-Max parts; idkfs.

I hope the toilet is going in the master bedroom bathroom...

Me, personally, I wouldn't take the chance on the Caruso or the Rowan because of the trap way configuration.

For future reference:

It looks like Toto does make an ADA round - the Entrada:https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst243ef_spec.pdf

If you use the Toto search tools it won't come up, though. Guess Toto needs to update their search engine software.

Good work, Reach4.:thumbs-up:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO CST243EF Entrada Round Front, ADA height

I'm selling the round front Entrada for $199.99
And the elongated version, universal height, $219.99
MaP of 1000 grams

cst244ef_zoom.jpg

http://terrylove.biz/toilets/98-toto-cst243ef-entrada-toilet.html

In the Seattle area though. If I could drop them in a mail box for 44 cents and they didn't break along the way I would. It's eighty pounds of fragile porcelain. Imagine dropping grandma's fine china on the front porch.

We do local delivery in Seattle and installation. :)

cst243ef_spec_pic.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks