Can I use 2 single pole 30 amp pushmatic breakers as a double pole set up

Users who are viewing this thread

robertj707morris

Reaction score
I have just recently bought a 120/240v VAC 30amp AutoPolit light controller....the unit requires a 30amp 2 pole unit breaker and a #10 wire....my question is since I have two empty spots in my curcuit board that will all me to put 2 single 30 amp 120/240 breakers in or a double pole pushmatic breaker in....Can I use both 30 amp breakers in the place of of 1 double pole 30 amp breaker

Stuff

Reaction score
No. You need to be able to disconnect both wires/poles at the same time.

If it is a Pushmatic you should be planning on replacing the entire panel.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Looking at a 30A double and a single. It does not look feasible to tie two single pole pushmatic breakers together. The top of the button on the single pole breaker is actually below the top of the breaker when pushed in. The double pole breakers are taller in this respect. perhaps the style you have is different? Bite the bullet and buy the proper breaker, or much better yet replace the panel -- it might be cheaper.

robertj707morris

Reaction score
Hi BlueBinky, the 30 amp breakers I have has a clip on it....that appears as though if one side popped the clip would also pop up pushing the other clip on the other sides 30 amp breaker.....the clip that is on the double pole sit over both breakers and are held in place with screws on both sides of the clip
They might make a "tie" to connect the two handles together, since they should be next to each other in order to insure the proper "phasing".

robertj707morris

Reaction score
Oh let me clearify that the clips are attached to both tops on both breakers ( the parts that you push in to turn on or off )

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Hi BlueBinky, the 30 amp breakers I have has a clip on it....that appears as though if one side popped the clip would also pop up pushing the other clip on the other sides 30 amp breaker.....the clip that is on the double pole sit over both breakers and are held in place with screws on both sides of the clip
There appears to be no difference between the single and two pole breakers that I have, other than the tie bar that is integral to the buttons. Also the metal backing is bent over into an inverted U shape to hold them together -- but that probably shouldn't matter, since they are screwed down anyway. It does sound like you have slightly different style, though.

I am really much happier with my new SquareD panel. The entire panel with a main breaker cost less than a used main breaker for the old panel. I only kept some old breakers since they are kind of a novelty...

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

The breaker you need is being manufactured new, there is no excuse to faff around with this.

Either put in the correct breaker or rip out the entire panel and start new.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

The breaker you need is being manufactured new, there is no excuse to faff around with this.

Either put in the correct breaker or rip out the entire panel and start new.
True, except that it is a little unclear what the correct breaker is. A 240V pushmatic breaker is two separate 120V breakers installed back-to-back (not side-by-side) with a tie bar between the buttons (unless he has a totally different setup than I'm looking at). It very may well be that two of his breakers plus a tie bar plus two screws may be identical to a new 240V breaker. Without actually seeing everything, it's impossible to tell.

I do agree -- the correct breaker(s) or a new panel are the only correct choices. Starting over may quite possibly be cheaper and overdue, not to mention safer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks