Can I tie my bathroom sink and utility sink drains together? As well as vent?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by vinceliberto, May 20, 2010.

1. vinceliberto

vinceliberto New Member

In the picture you'll see my existing stack that was put in when the house was built for the basement rough-in. (Pay no attention to the hose coming out of the plug, it's a water softener drain that was not done correctly. I'll be taking care of that in another way.)

To the right of this picture i'll be installing a bathroom sink and to the right of that a utility sink.

My questions are:

1. - Can I bring the utility drain over to the bathroom drain and attach with a "T"?

2. - Can I use the existing "Y" in the stack for the drain or should I leave this as a clean out and put a new "Y" above the one in the picture?

3. - Can I again tie the two sinks together in the same manner for a vent and attach further up in the stack?

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Don't get locked into having the clean out at the bottom. If you need to have fittings lower, I would remove the CO and put it higher it that's what it takes to put the other fittings in at the proper height.
    If the heights work out, then leave the CO there.

You lav will need a vent and so will the washer utility drain.
    Those vents can tie back together at 42" but can't tie back into a waste stack.
    You will need to run a separate vent to the next floor, or use an AAV, which can have it's own problems.
    An AAV needs to remain exposed and have available air for it to work.
    There also needs to be a primary vent in the system for it to work, they are secondary vents.
  3. vinceliberto

vinceliberto New Member

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If that pipe were intended to be a WASTE, it would have had a sink connection to it. We cannot tell you, from the pictures, whether you SHOULD use it for the sink drains or not. (There is no way for us to stop you from doing it if you decide to do it anyway.) The 42" requirement may come into play depending on HOW you make the connections for the two sinks.
  5. vinceliberto

vinceliberto New Member

It surely drains, the water softener has been draining into it for years.