Can I run any of my 2" lav drain outside of the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Caprieragtop

Reaction score
All,

Second thread, as it's a different lav in my house.

Basically, the back wall where I'm installing this sink has floor joists beneath it in such a way that it's impossible to run a 2" lav waste line through them without destroying the structural integrity of the floor joists.

Presently, I have the 2" waste line coming though the floor about 4" from the wall. I intend to 45 into the wall as soon as it comes through the subfloor, and then 45 it again once in the wall to get it vertical. Then I'll plumb in the sanitary tee.

Basically, I'm curious if I'm allowed to plumb any part of the waste line outside of the wall. I'm building in a vanity, so it won't be exposed, but I want to be sure it will meet code.

In the photo, the waste line goes into the floor about where the far right foot of the stool is. What I'm curious about is if I can then 45 into the wall, then 45 again to make the pipe vertical.

Or is there a better method to do this that I'm not considering.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150517_171255.jpg
    20150517_171255.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 175

Caprieragtop

Reaction score
90s? Cool. What about the rule of no more than 135 degrees of directional change? Or does that only apply to vertical runs?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
135 degrees is for horizontal changes.
Horizontal to vertical = Medium 90 or long turn
Vertical to horizontal = Long turn 90

Caprieragtop

Reaction score
So would a street elbow and elbow be allowed? I ask because that fits perfectly. A long sweep 90 and street el is too long and sticks out of the wall cavity. Is it considered a change of vertical to horizontal if you're just trying to dog leg into another vertical piece?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks