Can I rework this P trap? or doomed to a short garage door... :(

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kelaykay, Jul 15, 2010.

1. kelaykay

kelaykay New Member

Hey everyone- I've lurked for a few months now and love this site! Now I'm in need of some help!

I recently bought a 2 story house that is garage, foyer and laundry downstairs and living upstairs.

The bathrooms are, for the most part, above the garage. There is a section of the garage ceiling that has a bulkhead to accommodate these pipes.

SO... here's the problem folks! I am getting a new garage door installed and the bulkhead is too low for the rails for the door (old one was straight rails, new is curved).

Well we ripped open the bulkhead to see what the real issue is, and it is our guest bathroom tub P trap that dips too low. I'm not sure what can be done

Can I (or a plumber- I've done a lot but this is intimidating!) Move the P trap up higher between the trusses, then come out of the P trap, straight down then over to tie into the exisiting slant?

I need 3" more of space so if there's a way to move it up I won't have to get a short garage door... and then my husbands Jeep will actually fit in!!!

Thanks ahead of time... I have pics but having trouble uploading... I'll try to make a link.

Kelaykay
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

If you're just talking three inches, then I'd say probably yes. But let's see what others have to say.

And give us those pics!
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The trap arm can only grade down at a 2% slope. That's 1/4" per foot.
    If it's steeper then then, then the trap can siphon.
    If you can also raise the fitting at the vent location, then you can raise the entiire trap arm.
    The critical portion, is leading up to the vent.

A picture that is 800 pixels or less would help here.
  4. kelaykay

kelaykay New Member

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Your vent comes in low and horizontal.
    You best bet would to go through the floor joists if you have 2x10's and intercept a line that vents it at that height.
    That will mean raising the pipe that is venting your tub.
  6. kelaykay

kelaykay New Member

Awwwhhh darn! I was hoping that going through the joists wouldn't be the answer. :(

I guess I'm stuck. I may just call a plumber and have him or her do it for me. I had to do something like that in the kitchen and it took forever and I need it quick. Guess I need to make a few calls in the morning. :-/

Hopefully it will buy the garage door guy enough height.

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful answers!
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Before you spend money on plumbing, check the garage door instructions for a 'low overhead' set of tracks. These are generally available, typically cost maybe $50 or so, and may resolve the problem. Also, keep in mind that the upper part of the tracks doesn't have to be horizontal, it can have a slight slope to it, especially if you have an opener attached. It makes it a little harder to lower it manually since you need to push it uphill, but it still will work. Once you get more and more of the door in the vertical track, it becomes easier. If using an opener, you'd never notice.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You get the "low roof/ceiling" adapter kit for your garage door. It was made for situations such as this when the whole ceiling is too low.