Can I Put a Check Valve in Hot Water Supply Line?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by jjinatx, Jun 12, 2013.

1. jjinatx

jjinatx New Member

My water heater tank started leaking and while draining it I noticed there is cold water backflowing through the supply line. So I most likely have a valve somewhere that is letting cold water into the hot water line. I believe I know which one is the culprit. I don't believe the situation is easily fixable, but I won't go into that here and now.

Can I just put a check valve in the hot water line line coming out of the water heater when I install the new one? Is there any safety issue with doing this?

I would appreciate any good advice.

-jj
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

IF you THINK it is a problem, (and it is ONLY when you are trying to drain the water heater), put a ball valve in the hot water side. But the real soluution is to locate the single handle faucet, usually a tub or shower and repair the valve, unless you have Mixet valves which is a different subject and solution.