Can I glue a ring onto an ABS flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
OK, I guess there aren't any other solutions for a wall discharge flange that's too far in and not 100% straight. Too far in for the neoprene seal to bond. In order to bring it out a bit more I was thinking about buying a regular 3" ABS flange piece and cutting off the rim, so that I end up with a ring. This ring I would glue onto the exisiting flange face with ABS cement. If not thick enough I could probably glue two of those on there. Would be really nice to get another 1/4" or so. The usual method of silicone and screwing in an extender doesn't work here because it's in a wall, nothing to grab into.

Is it ok to glue an ABS ring flat-face onto an ABS flange rim?

Also, I've got a full can of ABS cement that's a few years old. Would it still be good or does that stuff rot in the can?

Regards, Joerg.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy a Pipeshredder or PipeHawg to ream out the hub behind the wall, glue in a new nipple. Use a Fernco waxless ring, it works great.

Joerg

Reaction score
I could do that if there was space. But since it's in a 6" wall space there is no room. The current flange piece goes all the way into the 90 degree vent connector. Probably I could dremel it out of that connector but if I mess that up I'd be in big doodoo.

Regards, Joerg.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tools suggested are specifically designed to bore out the fitting from a hub so a new fitting can be installed. That's probably the best way to do it.

Joerg

Reaction score
Ok, but then I'd have to drive into town, rent the tool, drive back etc. It'll take hours out here. All we can rent locally is farm equipment and stuff.

I did a test overnight: I sawed the top off of an old ABS trap, crudely filed things flat, then joined them back together with ABS cement. Just butted the pipes together. Put it into a vice 12 hours later and whacked it with a hammer. It would not break! The heavy workbench moved instead. Amazing ...

Anyhow, what would be wrong with taking an ABS flange ring or saw one off from a regular ABS flange and cement that onto the one in the wall to give it some more height?

Regards, Joerg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks