Can I fix steam radiator shut off valves or do I have to replace

Users who are viewing this thread

BostonCondo1

Reaction score
Hello,
I have steam heat in my condo and sometimes it gets too hot and I would like to be able to turn off the steam supply to some of the radiators.

The problem is that even when I crank down on the valves steam still goes into the radiator. It is a very old building and I wouldn't be surprised if the radiator valves are original and the gaskets/discs in the valve are worn.

So my question is do I have to replace the valves or is there any way to take out the stem part and replace just that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would replace the air vents on all your radiators to vent right #1's. It will help you regulate the heat a little. If you close the valves on the heaters it will force the heat to another heater. Plus they are cheaper than heater valves.

BostonCondo1

Reaction score
Thanks for the response but all the air vents are working OK and can regulate the heat a little bit ...as much as you can regulate steam heat.
The steam is a single supply (4 floor condo building) - only one pipe in to each radiator and no return so if I shut it off wouldn't have any impact on the other radiators.

Any way to fix the valves so that when I turn the handle it really staops the steam entering the radiator?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I think they make repair kits for them, but may not sell them every place. I would look for GrumpyPlumber he might know in your area. I'm sure he will be on soon. I tend to replace more than repair.

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
different seals

There is a difference between seal replacements for valves. They make special seals for hot steam applications but not every plumbing place handles them. I am fortunate enough to have a plumbing supply place in my area that handles them and this time of the year I always make sure I carry them.
Check with your local plumbing supply. When you remove the stem from the valve make darn sure you have the supply to the radiator OFF so you dont get burned. I also make sure that I have an assortment of new screws that hold the new washer in place because the old screw is so rusted or corroded from time that I have to use a needle nose vise grip to get the old one off. In one large apartment complex I work on in Milwaukee there is no way to shut off the heat to an individual apartment without shutting the entrie buildings heat down. So in that case I have replacement stems ready ahead of time and when the heat cycles off in a steam system I pull the old and put in the replacement before it cycles back on. I dont recommend this technique to anyone other than experienced people. Also in some cases I will remove the old valve entirely and replace it with a thermostatically controlled valve with a one 0 to 9 setting on the face dial so each radiator can be controlled independently in each room.

tonysprofessionalremodeling.com

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washers

Steam valves use a hard washer, often held on by a nut and metal washer, which may not be available in all locations. You may also have a difficult time disassembling the valves to install the washers.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You might also just replace the air vent with a plug, if an existing air vent can't be throttled down enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks