Can I down fire my System 2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

vincenzo

Reaction score
I just has my annual tune-up done on my 1 year old System 2000 and I noticed that it is firing at 90,000 btu's. I read through the burner's owners annual and saw that it can take a smaller nozzle size. I also saw the sticker in front of the boiler that say's the same thing. My house is 2 story colonial about 1550 sq. ft in size and was built in the 1930's, not completely insulated, (no wall insulation). My question is can I go to a smaller nozzle size and still have the burner operate normally, and if so how small. This boiler runs beautifully and I don't want to damage it . Also, will this void the warranty in any way? These are the test results that the oil burner tech took .
StackTemp:330
Net Stalk Temp:270
CO2: 10%
Smoke: 0
breech Draft: -20
Overfiredraft: 01
Efficiency: 86.6%
I posted the boiler sticker and the nozzle size from my burners owner's manual.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 221

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If a nozzle size is recommend in the EK-1 manual (not the burner manual) it can be re-jetted to the lower firing rate without screwing up the warranty as long as it's done by a qualified tech with a combustion analyzer.

It looks like you can bump it down to 83K for sure, but below that it becomes questionable. An uninsulated house that size would have a heat load of 40-50,000 BTU/hr, but with the heat-purging controls on the System 2K being 2x oversized doesn't have a huge effect on efficiency the way a dumber boiler that doesn't utilize an indirect water heater tank for heat purging purposes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks