Can I connect PEX directly to water meter in basement? (NJ)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by gil716, Sep 13, 2011.

1. gil716

gil716 New Member

Hello, after learning a lot from this forum, I've decided to redo the main trunk in my house with PEX. I heard from a friend's plumber that the New Jersey code does not allow you to connect PEX directly to the water meter. Has anyone ever heard this before? I understand why a water heater needs to have copper, but why the water meter? I assume that I would have to extend the ground from the incoming pipe all the way to my cluster of copper pipes?

Thanks.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The only time I have heard of this requirement was when the water meter was outside the house, then they require about 3' of copper from the meter before changing materials. The usual reason being that when the plastic line broke, you did not have to disturb the meter to fix it.
  3. gil716

gil716 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. The meter is inside the house so perhaps he just forgot the part about being outdoors.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IT could also be a local thing to make your life more difficult, and/or make more work for plumbers.