Can I connect a toilet to a cast iron p trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

rogerlarry

Reaction score
I'm renovating my basement bathroom and I'm putting the toilet where the shower used to be and moving the shower to a floor drain. I busted up the concrete in both locations and both locations have 4 inch cast iron. Here is my question:

1. Can I hook my toilet up to a cast iron p trap? I know the toilet has its own p trap, but I don't want to tear out the existing one in the ground. I'll basically have 2 traps in series, which I think is bad, but how bad???

I'm using a doughnut flange to connect the existing cast iron bell to a 4 inch pvc pipe. Also is there any advantage/disadvantage to having a 4 inch toilet flange?

rogerlarry

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Not what I wanted to hear. I've been lucky so far in my work and I haven't broken any of the pipes during my excavation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You cannot put a toilet over ANY "P" trap, if you expect it to flush AT ALL. The older ones did have enough water and force to push through a trap, but none of the current ones can do it.

rogerlarry

Reaction score
Thanks again, I'll dig deeper and cut the p trap off and replace with a 90 elbow. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks