Can I check Resin to see if its bad??

Users who are viewing this thread

ArayT

Reaction score
My system is a fleck 7000, 40k thats only 8-10 months old. Is there a way I can make sure my resin is not ruined? A few weeks back I realised my softener was not using any potassium, it had bridged inside my container. Would you recommend using salt vs potassium? No health problems, just thought it would be better. We ocassionally have a sulfur smell, my wife says more often than I realise what can be done about this?
Thanks, Ray

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Your resin isn't bad because you ran out of salt.

You need to do 2 manual regenerations back to back with no water use during or between them, at the max salt dose for the volume of resin you have; that's 15 lbs per cuft.

Depending on your salt efficiency, you need to use more potassium than sodium chloride; +12% if set at 6 lbs/cuft, up to 30% if using like 3-4 lbs/cuft.

I strongly suggest the use of solar crystal salt. It rarely bridges and totally dissolves, pellet type of any kind doesn't

WildWildMidwest

Reaction score
Yikes! I never had salt bridging with our Water Boss softener. I use the cheapest brand of sodium chloride pellets without any problem. The brine sits in the tank for up to two weeks between recharge cycles, so there is plenty of time for it to reach the saturation point. The only downside I've found with cheap salt is it contains more dirt. But, with the occasional basement centipede or Asian beetle dropping into the brine, what's wrong with a little dirt to bury the corpses?

I scrub our brine tank inside-and-out every couple of years to keep it from getting too macabre. I'm sure most people never do that... especially with the bigger tanks. Even our empty Water Boss is pretty heavy to carry to the basement sink.

Is there any health hazard from leaving pickled centipedes / ladybugs and salt dirt in the brine tank???

My understanding about how resin exchange works is that almost none of the sodium or potassium chloride ends up in the domestic water stream. Almost all the sodium ions go out the brine discharge hose. So the health benefits of switching to KCl are minimal to none.

That's a totally different issue than using salt-substitute at the dinner table or for cooking. KCl in the salt shaker offers major health benefits to people with hypertension, nephrosclerosis, or congestive heart failure. (Dialysis patients should speak with their nephrologist before choosing a salt source.) Some people with hypertension can lower their blood pressure enough by switching to KCl at the dinner table that their physician can stop their BP meds. Though not everybody responds that well, being on two BP meds instead of 3-4 BP meds is certainly a worthwhile goal for people who substitute KCl in dietary sources. I've seen it happen. Success in stopping meds depends on what's the underlying cause of hypertension. FWIW, avoiding sodium is most likely to be effective at lowering blood pressure in people of African descent; but adding potassium may help lower blood pressure in all ethnic groups.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks