Can I change location of vent connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wheaty

Reaction score
I 'd like to move the T-connection at B to location C. This move would result in distance A (=the 90 bend to the p-trap connection) going from about 50" to about 12".

I can't think of a reason why I can't do this, but then that kind of thinking has got me trouble before...

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Attachments

• vent-3.jpg
    vent-3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 278

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Distance "A" has nothing to do with anything. But, your connection "C" MUST be 6" above the overflow line of the fixtures AND/OR 42" above the floor, whichever is LOWEST. Your "point C" does not conform to either requirement, but "B" probably does.

Wheaty

Reaction score
Thanks both. Looks like point "C" is out of the running. Glad I asked.

Wheaty

Reaction score
It's a bit of a long story but to cut to the chase, we're installing a shower and the shower doors are going to need some wood to screw into. The vertical part of the vent (A) is right in the way of us sistering a stud to an adjacent stud. The sistered stud would provide the base for the shower door. So, I thought if I could move the assembly down a bit (reducing A) , I could sister part of a stud above the vent and then sister another against that, that would reach the bottom plate. (Forming a kind of a stud bridge over the relocated vent). That's kind of hard to describe....

If I did that though the new vent connection would be below the drain holes of the bathroom sinks, thus violating your specs.

But, with a bit more work, I think I can just move the whole shooting match to the right without changing any heights of connections. The vertical 'culprit' part of the vent would then be out of the way. Thanks for any further hints.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The door is held by three screws, so you could just insert three 1x4 crosspieces where the screws go. You do not need a 2x4 to screw into. In fact, if you have a mudbase tile job, you do not even need wood in most cases, especially if the door has a header over it.

Wheaty

Reaction score
Thanks again. I will consider the cross-piece idea and see I can make it work.
Failing that, is it acceptable (while not necessarily aesthetic) to have the vent go from B horizontally to the right but a shorter distance than present, then down vertically and then horizontally to join the system at the bottom arrowhead of length A? (It would form a vertical "Z"). The idea is to move the original vertical section of the vent to the left (i.e. in the next stud bay to the left) and away from the door area. I appreciate your help.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can move it over using 45 degree bends. The vent cannot run at less than 45 degrees anywhere below your point "B"

Wheaty

Reaction score
Thanks cacher_chick. I think that will let me get back to my normal life again, if I can remember what it was... I appreciate everyone's help.

Wheaty

Reaction score
One last question. To use cacher-chick's 45-degree solution, I'll have to lower the shower drain connection (the one just below the lower arrowhead on length "A") towards the main ("WASTE") pipe.
Is there a minimum distance I need to keep between the shower drain connection and the main waste pipe? Thanks very much.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm not clear on what you are trying to do.

The trap arm to the vent needs to be maintained at 1/4" per foot pitch. The length of the drain pipe AFTER the vent is not limited.

Wheaty

Reaction score
The second component of your answer answers my question. Thanks very much ! Have a great weekend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks