Can I build this Console

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by nmchugh6, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nmchugh6

nmchugh6 New Member

Yikes...the console sells for about $700. Anyone have ideas how I can make this? Would plumbing supply store have materials? What type of business would likely cut the measurements? Is some other business a likely source for material and sizing?
    http://stthomascreations.com/Products/productDetail.aspx?sku=5010.680&familyID=70[/URL]
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

First, you probably can't buy that sink by iteself. As far as trying to cobble together a frame like that to fit some other sink, it would look like it was made by third grader at the lego factory.
  3. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

I can post what I did instead. I knew I wanted a console sink and searched high and low for one that looked nice without breaking the bank.

I settled on one from american standard called retrospect 7812.002 . I think I picked it up online for just over $400. I found plenty of others in the $400-3000 range.

I'm very happy.

Attached Files:

• sink.jpg
      sink.jpg
      File size:
      16.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. that look nice

the american standard unit looks pretty nice,

but for some weird , perverse reason I really want to see

what this fellow rigs up on his own.......
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Amazing how all that was old is suddenly new again.

Next they will bring back the enamled steel kitchen.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

retro

And 23" deep Nappanee steel cabinets.
  7. nmchugh6

nmchugh6 New Member

The sink is available on its own..the console is expensive and I'm a somewhat capable (yet Scottish/cheap) girl who's looking at the console asking,,, can't I do it on my own? I am in no way a professional but I look at the console, see railings and 2 fittings on the legs that enable connection of the bar between the two legs and then bars running back to the wall.

Am I nuts to think that I can get the railings and fittings from a plumbing supply or another type of business and have either the contractor or myself put it together?

The Pyramids were built thousands of years ago...some responses are giving me the impression this is near impossible...is it really?
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You could make it out of wood. Making it out of metal would require skills and tools you probably don't have. Steel would have to be welded, the joints machined smooth, then the thing chromed (unless you wanted it painted). None of those operations are all that hard if you have the skill and the tools, but the time it would take you would likely still make it cheaper to buy. Actually, doing it in wood requires skills, too if you want it to look good.