Can I apply a little torch to pex to help it bend......

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
My electrician did some crazy stuff by just running a torch over PVC conduit to create this sweeping bend in his 12' foot PVC conduit. He made is hot enough just to create the bend....

Can I do the same of pex to just help make the 3/4" sweeping 90.....

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You can do whatever you want, but I wouldn't do that.

Cross linked polyethylene =/= poly vinyl chloride

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
every pex manufacturer out there says not to use a torch on their product.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Not only would I not apply that much heat to PEX, I wouldn't sweat a PEX to copper joint with the PEX attached. If you compromise the PEX it will fail. The problem is it may fail long after you've pressure tested the line and the drywall is taped and painted.

If you need to make a bend, use the proper PEX fitting or a series of fitting to accomplish the required bend or turn. If you just can't get it done with PEX, change over to copper for the bend/turn and then go back to PEX.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PVC and PEX are two different materials. If you CANNOT bend the PEX to make the turn you need, then you either have to do it with fittings, or reroute the PEX.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Type A pex is the only one that can be unkinked by application of heat from a heat gun. But, it won't improve the turn radius. Each size and type of pex has a minimum turn radius and you should be able to bend it to that without doing anything special. If you require a turn tighter, then cutting and adding fittings, or rerouting is required.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I ended up with a street 90 off the existing fitting.
It was on one end of the feed for the baseboard - and the existing fitting would not budge - even with the 24" wrench I had on it.
The spot where it was was no conducive to try adding heat to loosed her up....

All is well. thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks