can I add a branch here

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by lmei007, Jun 14, 2011.

1. lmei007

lmei007 Member

Please refer to the picture attached. The red color part is what I plan to add in. is it good without a separated vent? I remember we can have a wet vent within 5'. But don't know if that rule can apply to my case?

Attached Files:

2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Needs to be vented.
  3. lmei007

lmei007 Member

Somebody said my washing machine vent is optional because it is within 5' from the waste stack. So I thought that rule can be used in my new branch.

Ok can I join the new vent with that washing machine vent, like the red dot line in the attached picture?

Attached Files:

4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

That looks fine to me.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The problem is NOT the distance from a vent, it is that the washing machine drain is flowing past the sink drain, so the sink drain DOES need a vent.
  6. lmei007

lmei007 Member

I see now. A vent will be there for sure. Thank you for your clear explanation.