Can Hose Bib (Brass Male) Be Connected Directly to Copper (Female) Not Fitting Smoothly

Users who are viewing this thread

cloves

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a novice question here. I need to add a hose bib near my water manifold temporarily while I replumb a water filter. I purchased a brass hose bib 1/2" male and a copper female 1/2". But I am not sure that they are mean't to go together because the hose bib does not go that far in. I didn't try it with a wrench because I didn't want to shred the copper. It only goes about 3 to 4 rings in with hand pressure.

I am thinking that the hose bib is mean't to into one of the brass ears used in bathrooms perhaps?

PS I was unable to upload the photo to the forums servers (empty file error)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Use teflon tape. Don't worry that the thread does not go in all of the way.

cloves

Reaction score
Thanks reach!

Would it have been a better idea to use the the brass elbow instead? Just out of curiosity.

Reach4

Reaction score
Elbow? Elbows have an angle. That copper thing is a coupler. And copper is the better buy for soldering to copper.

This is a brass elbow. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwOVgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJ,!pYFCJGVwTL5BQ1H-O(KQg~~60_35.JPG

I would consider leaving that bib in the system after your filtering. You might want a handy way to get some water from before your softener-- perhaps to fill your drinking water jug. You might get a backwashing filter that has a solution tank that you will top off with water, as I have for my backwashing iron and sulfur filter for my well water. You might want a handy spot to screw a pressure gauge onto to check your post-filter pressure. That might be useful to spot when you need to change the element(s).

Some will object that the hose bib does not have an anti-siphon feature.

cloves

Reaction score
Elbow? Elbows have an angle. That copper thing is a coupler. And copper is the better buy for soldering to copper.

This is a brass elbow. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwOVgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJ,!pYFCJGVwTL5BQ1H-O(KQg~~60_35.JPG

I would consider leaving that bib in the system after your filtering. You might want a handy way to get some water from before your softener-- perhaps to fill your drinking water jug. You might get a backwashing filter that has a solution tank that you will top off with water, as I have for my backwashing iron and sulfur filter for my well water. You might want a handy spot to screw a pressure gauge onto to check your post-filter pressure. That might be useful to spot when you need to change the element(s).

Some will object that the hose bib does not have an anti-siphon feature.

I should have mentioned I plan on adding an elbow after the female copper fitting the connect it to the pipe (also made of copper). I should have said should I have just connected to the brass elbow and then just solder it right on the copper.

Yes I will be actually be adding a pressure gauge before the pre water filter and then one after the first filter and then a third after the third filter.

I have had a really hard time getting the correct "t" to screw in a pressure gauge. I ended up getting a 3/4 by 3/4 by 1/2 "T" and then got a coupler for the 1/4 gauge to screw into the 1/2 copper part of the "T".

I might add a water softner down the line. Right now just going a prefilter (ge whole house) then a whirlpool whole house self cleaning unit.

Reach4

Reaction score
I might add a water softner down the line. Right now just going a prefilter (ge whole house) then a whirlpool whole house self cleaning unit.
If I guessed the right filter, I think I would put the Whirlpool Central Water Filtration System model WHELJ1 backwashing activated charcoal filter before the replaceable cartridge filter, but you might want to seek other opinions on that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks