Can granite be installed on the ceiling of a sauna?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Mad Plumber, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Mad Plumber

Mad Plumber Mad Skills

My question is: Can granite be installed on the ceiling of a sauna and what size granite would you recommend be installed. Also, was would I use to prevent the granite tiles from falling. Last, what type of wonder board would you recommend to prevent the steam from penetrating the ceiling?

Kathy
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Any size you wish on the ceiling. The technique is to put the thinset up in a ring then push the tile up into it. It makes sort of a suction cup and as long as you get a full ring, will easily hold the tile up until the thinset cures.

Steam showers are special animals, and must be built carefully and well to prevent problems.

I highly suggest you look at a sheet membrane. Noble, Latticrete, and Schluter all make one well suited for any shower and especially a steam shower. My preference would be Kerdi from www.schluter.com.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling.