Can anyone recommend a toilet that has a true 14 inch rough in?

Users who are viewing this thread

geebee2000

Reaction score
We are having our bathroom renovated by a contractor.

Our new American Standard Clean Cadet 3 toilet was installed today and now the tank sits about 3 inches away from the wall, instead of being less than an inch to the wall. This toilet has a 12 inch rough in. I now believe that our old toilet likely had a 14 inch rough in. Our contractor and his plumber did not forsee this and left the toilet connection as it was. The room and floor were gutted so there was an opportunity to move the pipe. Now a new floor with tile has been installed and our toilet sits too far from the wall.

The American Standard Clean Cadet 3 was $240 at Lowes and has many positive reviews including the reviewers at Consumer Reports.

I believe installing a different toilet with a 14 inch rough in makes more sense that ripping up the floor.

Can anyone recommend a different toilet that would have a true 14 inch rough in?
I want a decent toilet but don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.
$300 would be ok, $500 is the absolute max.

Is there another viable solution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?31868-14-quot-Rough-In-Toilet-Choices

The link above answers that question.
First, you may want to measure the rough-in that you have. Measure from the back wall, not the floor mold, and to the center of the bolt caps that hold the bowl down.

cst474_side.jpg

TOTO Vespin II, CST454CEFG, elongated bowl is 28-3/4" from wall to end of bowl on a 14" rough with 14" Unifit.

Last edited:

arcnsparc

Reaction score
two piece toilet for small bathroom with 14" rough-in

I made the mistake of installing a 12" rough-in toilet in our current main floor bathroom. The house is a 1948 Cape Cod (story 1/2) and the main floor bathrooms are small. I found a Mansfield Alto two piece round toilet w/ 14" rough-in that's order only at ******* (local DIY store). From what I've read on this site, it would be good to stay away from that toilet.

I've reviewed all of the positive notes or feedback on Toto Toilets, but I just can't get into the looks of their one piece toilet and my wife (who's the boss) doesn't like the look of their 1 piece toilet either (assuming I'd use the 14" unifit adapter).

The positive spec that I read on the Alto, was it's length / dept was under 28" which made it appealing for the smaller bathroom and the 14" offset would put it 1" from the wall.

We have the availability to spend $$$ to get a better toilet. I don't want to say "money is not object", but we can justify a higher cost toilet that fits this need and meets the objective (as long as it isn't gold plated and cost $10K).

Any advice from the forum is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mansfield has a plethora of Alta toilets so I cannot see the specifications for a 14" one, but these days they usually use that same 12" bowl you have and just add a tank that is 2" thicker so it ends up closer to the wall. This is different than the old days when a 14" toilet was a different design and used the same tank that a 12" one did.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me be blunt and a bit untactful. If you are looking cheap, then go for cheap. If you want a quality toilet that will properly fit a 14" rough-in, the a Toto that uses the Unifit adapter is the route to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks