Can anyone recommend a toilet that has a true 14 inch rough in?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by geebee2000, Oct 3, 2013.

1. geebee2000

geebee2000 New Member

We are having our bathroom renovated by a contractor.

Our new American Standard Clean Cadet 3 toilet was installed today and now the tank sits about 3 inches away from the wall, instead of being less than an inch to the wall. This toilet has a 12 inch rough in. I now believe that our old toilet likely had a 14 inch rough in. Our contractor and his plumber did not forsee this and left the toilet connection as it was. The room and floor were gutted so there was an opportunity to move the pipe. Now a new floor with tile has been installed and our toilet sits too far from the wall.

The American Standard Clean Cadet 3 was $240 at Lowes and has many positive reviews including the reviewers at Consumer Reports.

I believe installing a different toilet with a 14 inch rough in makes more sense that ripping up the floor.

Can anyone recommend a different toilet that would have a true 14 inch rough in?
    I want a decent toilet but don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.
    $300 would be ok, $500 is the absolute max.

Is there another viable solution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. arcnsparc

arcnsparc New Member

two piece toilet for small bathroom with 14" rough-in

I made the mistake of installing a 12" rough-in toilet in our current main floor bathroom. The house is a 1948 Cape Cod (story 1/2) and the main floor bathrooms are small. I found a Mansfield Alto two piece round toilet w/ 14" rough-in that's order only at ******* (local DIY store). From what I've read on this site, it would be good to stay away from that toilet.

I've reviewed all of the positive notes or feedback on Toto Toilets, but I just can't get into the looks of their one piece toilet and my wife (who's the boss) doesn't like the look of their 1 piece toilet either (assuming I'd use the 14" unifit adapter).

The positive spec that I read on the Alto, was it's length / dept was under 28" which made it appealing for the smaller bathroom and the 14" offset would put it 1" from the wall.

We have the availability to spend $$$ to get a better toilet. I don't want to say "money is not object", but we can justify a higher cost toilet that fits this need and meets the objective (as long as it isn't gold plated and cost $10K).

Any advice from the forum is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Mansfield has a plethora of Alta toilets so I cannot see the specifications for a 14" one, but these days they usually use that same 12" bowl you have and just add a tank that is 2" thicker so it ends up closer to the wall. This is different than the old days when a 14" toilet was a different design and used the same tank that a 12" one did.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/pdf/130-125.pdf

The round 14" Alto would be 29-1/2" inches out from the back wall.
    I consider them throw away toilets. Though if you treat it kindly and keep a plunger handy, it may do.

Their elongated bowl is 31-3/4" from wall to end of bowl.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Let me be blunt and a bit untactful. If you are looking cheap, then go for cheap. If you want a quality toilet that will properly fit a 14" rough-in, the a Toto that uses the Unifit adapter is the route to go.