Can Anybody Here Read Water Test Results? Need Help Deciding on Water Softner Type.

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by kozaz, Mar 14, 2010.

1. kozaz

kozaz New Member

We had our water tested so it could help us decide on what type of water softner is needed. Besides getting with the company that did the test for us, I would like to get some info from any of you as well.

We were told that they could recommend 2 compaines to help us chose our water softner. I would just like to be a little more educated before I talk to them.

TEST RESULTS

Alkalinity Total
    MDL = 2
    Result = 237.0

Cholide
    MDL = 2
    Result = 12.0

Sulfate
    MDL = 2
    Result = 8.0

Total Hardness
    MDL = 2
    Result = 200.0

Arsenic
    MDL = 0.002
    Result = 0.007

Calcium
    MDL = 0.1
    Result = 72.0

Copper
    MDL = 0.01
    Result = 0.03

Iron
    MDL = 0.01
    Result = 0.04

Lead
    MDL = 0.002
    Result = <0.002

Magnesium
    MDL = 0.1
    Result = 15.6

Manganese
    MDL = 0.01
    Result = <0.01

Silver
    MDL = 0.002
    Result = <0.01

Sodium
    MDL = 0.1
    Result = 42.0

Zinc
    MDL = 0.01
    Result = 0.15

Total Coliform Colilert
    MDL = 1
    Result = Absent

pH
    MDL = N/A
    Result = 7.3@12C

Total Dissolved Solids
    MDL = 2
    Result = 342.0

Any advice on what we need treated would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan
  2. Skip Wolverton

Skip Wolverton In the Trades

Take the total hardness and divide by 17.1 will give you the GPG (grains per gallon). This is a measuement use in water softening. Hardness is measured on a scale from <1 to 10.5. In your case, you have 11.69 so you can see you are off the scale and need a softener. I prefer a electrical mechnical (non-electronic) valve. The Fleck 5600 is a very reliable valve and will give many years of service.
  3. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

"Arsenic
    MDL = 0.002
    Result = 0.007

Calcium
    MDL = 0.1
    Result = 72.0

Copper
    MDL = 0.01
    Result = 0.03
    "
    The MDL is the level that the lab starts its measure at.. the result is what they found in the test that they did.. each item in the water has a level that is either good or bad, one that needs some kind of action or no action is needed.. the FDA is one controlling group that has a list of items and at what level action is needed to remove that item.
    While arsenic shows up, looks to be under the 5ppb level and that would need no action..
    How many bathrooms, bedrooms are in the home, the number of people will give an idea as to the size of the system that you are going to need..
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I answered this on my forum.