Can an in-wall carrier be raised to ADA height?

Users who are viewing this thread

George R

Reaction score
A relative recently purchased a home. It contains 2 Eljer wall mount toilets. These are fitted with Eljer 1.6 gpf tanks with PF/2 Energizer power flush units.

She is generally pleased with the toilets, however, the problem is she wants (needs) a bowl that is higher.

The house is approximately 40-50 yr old (the toilets obviously much newer). Despite its age, the home is relatively high end with first class options for "back in the day".

The pipes that serve the toilets are 3 in. copper. There is access from the basement, however, original tile will have to be removed from behind the toilet

Can the carriers be raised in the wall, or would it be cheaper and simpler to get rid of the wall-mount and install new floor mount toilets?

She will hire a plumber to perform the work, but is currently thinking about her options.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It would likely be more expensive to convert things to a traditional floor mount, but maybe not. There is no reason the carrier can't be moved, but you essentially have to strip the wall to gain access, move everything, the reinstall the wall covering.

Either operation is possible, but depending on access and the tile work (which would need to be patched regardless) could add a fair amount to the price.

A floor-mount, rear discharge wouldn't help (I don't think it would mate up with the wall-hung carrier, but could be wrong), but a traditional floor mount toilet on a conventional flange would give her lots more options. Going to a floor mount, conventional flange also may mean tearing up the floor. Not necessarily, as there are tools that can cut a hole in the existing tile there, but keep that in mind, too.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumbing and carrier's can be raised. It's not an easy job. It's almost like starting from scratch.
The other option is relocating to the floor, but that's involved too.

George R

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses. My main question was answered, CAN the carrier be raised. I"ll let her see the responses and she will decide. Sounds like both options will be difficult. There is apparently quite a bit of the original tile behind the (upgraded) vanities, which could maybe be salvaged, because the vanities have a wooden back. Thanks again. I'll report back.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If tile is installed well, it generally does NOT come off intact! SOmetimes you get lucky, but don't count on it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks