Can a vanity drain be installed around a corner

Users who are viewing this thread

Hotbacon

Reaction score
Can the drain for a bathroom vanity go around a corner before connecting to a properly sized wet vent? i.e. - I want to put my vanity on a wall facing west, but the future wet vent that I have to tie into is on the north wall.

This is all assuming that the distance between the vanity and the vent allows for proper sloping.

Plumber2011

Expert Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.norwoodplumbing.com
Hi HB,

You asked, "Can the drain for a bathroom vanity go around a corner before connecting to a properly sized wet vent?". As Tom pointed out, yes it can, but first we need to know the distance from the "future wet vent" and the sink? Here, in most states, the sink DRAIN must be between 3' (most states) to 5' from the vent, at a maximum, but the vent can run quite a bit farther, so just want you to clarify your question, OK?

If you want to pick up the sink drain and then run the vent around the corner then that sounds just fine as you probably aren't too far from the vent. But if you plan to run the drain pipe around the corner..as I said, needs to be 3' to 5' max. from the vent.

That make sense??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Here, in most states, the sink DRAIN must be between 3' (most states) to 5' from the vent

Actually the sink drain can be from THREE INCHES to the local maximum distance from the vent, although 42" is a more common maximum distance for 1 1/2" pipe.

Hotbacon

Reaction score
I'll try to clarify my situation, but it sounds like I'll be ok.

All of this stated as if you are looking down on the room - I'd like to place my vanity on the west wall. The drain (1.5" line downstream of the p-trap) will come out of the back of the vanity and take a 90* turn to the north. The vanity will be in the corner, so I'm assuming there will be about 16-18" (half the vanity width) until the drain line hits the north wall and takes a 90* turn to the east. Then there is another 18-24" to the 2" vent (for the water closet drain) to the roof, which I will tie into as a wet vent.

When all is said and done, it looks like there will be a total of 3.5-4' of actual drain line from the vanity to where I tie into the vent line.

Plumber2011

Expert Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.norwoodplumbing.com
HJ, if you are going to quote me, please be complete. I said, "Here, in most states, the sink DRAIN must be between 3' (most states) to 5' from the vent, at a maximum..." But you missed that part, huh? I think that was pretty clear and didn't need any additional input from you, but it's OK as long as I can correct you when I think it's needed...that a deal?

HOT BACON, when you turn that corner make sure you use a LONG SWEEP ELBOW to turn the corner...required by code, OK?

Good luck!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Confusion again. It probably would have been a lot more clear to say that the drain must be a minimum twice the pipe diameter (no S trap) to whatever the local code distance from trap to vent requires depending on pipe size.

Hotbacon

Reaction score
Long sweep elbow it is. I assume I'll need to use this for the 90* coming out of the back of the vanity too, correct?

And I need a 2" x 1-1/2" x 2" PVC Sanitary Tee to tie into the vent, correct?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I plumbed my home, the inspector would not allow any 90 degree turn without a change in elevation. Esentially, I had to roll the 90 down 45 degrees so that the waste fell as it turned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks