Can a Myers deep well pump be used as a shallow well pump?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dave115, Jun 25, 2010.

1. dave115

dave115 New Member

I have an old Myers deep well pump that I would like to use to draw water from a shallow hand dug well.

The model I have is does not accept the conversion kit. Can I simply plug the outlet that returns water to the foot valve in the deep well to draw water from the shallow well?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

No. But you can still use the jet assembly even in a shallow well. Just have to use both pipe down the well even for a shallow well.
  3. dave115

dave115 New Member

Thanks Valveman!

I have the pump connected to the well as originally described, and it does move water, but it does not build pressure to fill a pressure tank. I have ordered the part and tubing to connect as you described.
  4. Dana Whitt

Dana Whitt New Member

Hi valveman my husband and I just brought a house the bank we brought it from recently replaced the pump with a utilitech deep well jet pump. Well since moving in the pvc that goes from the pump to the well cap has started leaking twice. We got it fixed and now it is leaking again, any suggestion?

P.s. When it leaks it spurts out it is not just a slow leak it fill the well house.
  5. craigpump

craigpump Member

Depends on where the leak is, if its the pipe that keeps splitting, replace the pipe or you will be chasing it forever
  6. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I would guess the leak happens where the plastic pipe connects to the pump? If so the pump is getting hot. Either you have a suction line leak, or the pump can’t build enough pressure to reach the shut off point of the pressure switch. Pump model number, depth of well??