Can a 32" tub go where a 30" was?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by AK-Maxx, Dec 1, 2009.

1. AK-Maxx

AK-Maxx New Member

I'm replacing my old tub, but the new one I like is 32", the old one is 30". I'm on a second floor, and have not yet removed the old tub. What needs to be done to install a 32"?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

They are the same length.
    Plumbing code requires 15" from the center of a toilet, to the edge of a tub.
    If you install a 32" tub, it will be 2" closer.
  3. AK-Maxx

AK-Maxx New Member

Will I have problems with the drain lining up? I'll have to drill ne holes in the surrond, so that doesn't matter too much, I'm mostly worried about the drain. I have well over 15" to the tub frm the toilet.
  4. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Unless you are replacing the tub with the exact model of the old one, you will have to re-plumb the drain.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

In other words, it would be a fluke if the drain lined up!

Now, whether you're lucky or not, it could be easy. If there's a joist in the way, it could get ugly. You won't know until you look.
  6. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Installing a tub can be a real pain the ass I'm not gonna lie. Sometimes you can't get at the drainage from below or the side so you have to measure up carefully and have the drain in place so when you set the new tub down it hits the drain bang on.

Each bath tub is a unique adventure :D You never know what you're up against until you rip the old tub out.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

You have to relocate the drain, and also the faucet to make it look proper and centered on the drain. I assume the surround is a separate unit, otherwise you will not get it into the room, nor into position.
  8. AK-Maxx

AK-Maxx New Member

The tub and surround will both be separate. I'll just have to look, then I'll start asking more questions. Thanks.