Caleffi Thermostatic mixing valve problem solved on a TriangleTube Prestige system

Users who are viewing this thread

Houptee

Reaction score
My cousin just bought a house that was a flip remodel.

It has a brand new TriangleTube Prestige combo boiler/water heater system connected to the original cast iron rads.
The domestic piping has been mostly replaced with PEX.
The house was never lived in by anyone since they remodeled it.
He bought it and moved in early October prior to heating season.
It got really cold here last few weeks and he called me and said the hot water runs out all the time halfway thru his showers and it never really feels that hot just barely warm enough can I come and look at the manual for the unit see it its programmed correctly.

I went thru the settings and everything was set to factory defaults except one setting for the domestic was set at 124 F the default is 184 F so I thought that was odd and set it to default 184 and told him go turn on kitchen sink full blast hot.

The hot water pipe comes out of the unit into a Caleffi 521 thermostatic mixing valve teed into the cold water pipe then out to the house piping.

The pipe temp coming out was extremely hot but the output of mixing valve was lukewarm so I adjusted the knob a bit hotter and the water went ice cold so I thought it had sediment stuck in it and tapped it lightly with a hammer and it went hot a few seconds then back to cold.

Shut off water and broke the fitting nuts loose on the valve and removed it to find on the hot and cold inlets a bunch of plastic parts fell out with springs and o rings etc and two orings were twisted up and inside the body of the valve on both sides. Found all the pieces and realized they are check valves that are supposed to be installed inside the sweated part of the inlet fitting not in the main valve body where the pieces were jammed in.
I figured out how they worked and snapped the check valve pieces back together they seemed undamaged.

Then when I went to insert the check valves I realized the problem, the plumber soldered the wrong sweat fitting on the hot inlet he screwed up and used the one made for the outlet only, so the check valve did not fit inside it correctly it was not as deep and not machined out for the check valve.
The guy just pushed all the parts in there backwards and tightened the big nuts on both hot and cold sides.

I sweat the fittings off and sweat them back in proper positions, put the check valves in correctly, and it works perfect now!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks