Cadet pro and wax less ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
So I wanted to try a wax less ring on my next install. Used Cadet Pro / 3 toilet.
Tried the green sani seal and a fluidmaster brand without the spacer.
Neither one would allow the toilet to sit on the floor. Thinking the problem is just the way the cadet 3 and pro are made. With these toilets it seemed like it could only work if the flange was slightly below the floor or at least flush with the floor.
Anybody else run into this?
thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange on the floor is too high, then a single wax without horn works fine.
You do need a little space for some of those seals.
The Sani-Seal works great with a flange that is lower.

Rayh78

Reaction score
If the flange on the floor is too high, then a single wax without horn works fine.
You do need a little space for some of those seals.
The Sani-Seal works great with a flange that is lower.

Thanks,
Just surprised based on my experience, they will not work if the flange sits on top of the finished floor.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've had great luck with Fernco seals on my poorely installed crooked flanges that stick above the floor. The whole thing pretty much fits inside the flange itself so it doesn't have problems with setting on the floor properly. Even a horned wax ring would cause the toilet to stick up off the floor on these flanges...

Reach4

Reaction score
I've had great luck with Fernco seals on my poorly installed crooked flanges that stick above the floor.
From what I have read on the Fernco toilet seals, they need to be applied to a toilet bottom that essentially new or at least clean as new. There certainly should not be any wax residue. But your point is good: the Fernco design does not use as much space above the flange. But Terry's point that wax needs zero space is to the point.

The normal state for a closet flange is with the bottom of the flange on the floor surface. There is normally enough space for a SaniSeal in that condition. Was that flange exceptionally thick?

Rayh78

Reaction score
From what I have read on the Fernco toilet seals, they need to be applied to a toilet bottom that essentially new or at least clean as new. There certainly should not be any wax residue. But your point is good: the Fernco design does not use as much space above the flange. But Terry's point that wax needs zero space is to the point.

The normal state for a closet flange is with the bottom of the flange on the floor surface. There is normally enough space for a SaniSeal in that condition. Was that flange exceptionally thick?

Yes the flange was extra thick or high when I pulled the toilet and not when I tried to install the toilet.
Actually it was one of those ABS flanges ( I hate those ) on a concrete floor. But it was bowed or warped up from the toilet bolts. One bolt had actually pulled thru.
So I took my multimaster and shaved off 2/3 of the thichness of the warped ABS flange. Then took a full stainless repair ring and anchored this tight against the floor. So ended up with the samething you would have if you installed factory PVC flange that has a stainless ring attached.

JerryR

Reaction score
Here is a 7 minute YouTube video of replacing a PVC flange. 7 minutes total from tearing out the old and installing the new.

Yes, it's that easy and probably less time than shaving down high spots and installing a repair ring.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme of those all-plastic flanges can be pretty thick, and if not sitting perfectly flat on the floor, some toilets will not be able to sit flat - they'll bottom out on the flange before it reaches the floor. They should be avoided, as they are not as strong as say a SS ring on one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks