Cable Bath Drain Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bigdave, Mar 2, 2009.

1. bigdave

bigdave New Member

Hello,
    This is my first post on this site.
    I have installed a new tub (just standard size regular tub) in our addition. It was suggested by a friend to try the Watts cable bath drain at Home Depot. I noticed right away it looked a little cheap for the price. After cutting the shoe and overflow to fit, I chose the satin nickle drain and overflow cap. The cap is plastic! the bronze cap is metal with a set screw; but the satin nickel option is plastic with a big wood screw inside and now holes for the overflow. This drain is not listed on the home depot site or the Watts site, and I can't find any instructions anywhere on the web to see if this the correct cap. Its as if this drain doesn't exist. The model is 22SN/ORB, and the model over the UPC code is 0145799.
    My question is this: has anyone seen or used this drain, and if so, does it last?
    Also, what do most plumbers install in their own tubs? Trip lever, twist and pull, or cable? Plastic or brass?

Thanks for the advice,
    Dave
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

We use brass and we buy them at plumbing supply houses.
  3. tadams76

tadams76 New Member

Watts Cable Bath Drain Satin Nickel Trim & Oil Rubbed Bronze Trim

We just bought this at Home Depot, no instruction, just a picture, and plastic cap. Rethinking now about using it since it's mostly plastic. . . .
    -Tina:confused:
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

I always use a push/pull unless the customer furnishes his own. That way there is no need to pull the tub when the cable or its end points break.
  5. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Gerber brass W/O.Mostly trip lever,push pull on certain applications.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

IMHO there is not a better drain made for a tub!

[​IMG]