Bypassing a Vent Away system on a wall hung toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Tdkdpt

Reaction score
I have a toilet that recently declined in its flushing power so I decided to purchase a Flushmaster universal replacement kit and replace the guts to our toilet. The problem however is that this particular toilet is an old American Standard 4049 Vent Away so there is the extra vent hole at the bottom of the tank.

I am trying to figure out what to do here. I have read about people plugging this hole and bypassing it altogether. However, I'd imagine the Vent Away system was used here for a reason. Is it ok to bypass this? Does the toilet need to have a venting system?

This particular toilet is our guest toilet and it shares the same wall/plumbing as our master bathroom. The Master bathroom has an old American Standard toilet but it has the 'normal" insides.

Would you recommend I have a plumber redo the insides for us? Replace the toilet? If I were to replace the toilet, I'd imagine I'd have to get another Vent Away system.

Thanks for helping out a new homeowner.

Reach4

Reaction score
I found this search interesting: American Standard 4049 Vent Away

One person said you could stick a 1.5 inch test plug into some vent to convert to a regular toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "vent away" is completely inside the toilet tank, and has nothing to do with the plumbing inside the walls of the house. It becomes "non-functional" as soon as you replace ANY of the internal parts with non vent away components. As an aside, most people have no idea HOW to make the vent away system operate. It does NOT happen automatically.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks