Bypass valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Petersam

Reaction score
i have just switched over from spring water to a 140' deep well. The spring was very acidic, the well has good neutral water. A few years ago I installed a up flow media system, and it has been working pretty good.
Now I don't need it anymore so my water to the house is grayish with sediment in it, now do I close the bypass valve or open it to keep the calcite from entering my house???

Bannerman

Reaction score
By closing it, the water will bypass that device.

If it is a purchased bypasas, depending on the type, it may have either one or two handles to close. They will usually indicate the bypass position.

If it is a three valve bypass constructed onsite, it will not be labeled but two will need to be closed and the third is to be opened.

Petersam

Reaction score
i have just switched over from spring water to a 140' deep well. The spring was very acidic, the well has good neutral water. A few years ago I installed a up flow media system, and it has been working pretty good.
Now I don't need it anymore so my water to the house is grayish with sediment in it, now do I close the bypass valve or open it to keep the calcite from entering my house???
By closing it, the water will bypass that device.

If it is a purchased bypasas, depending on the type, it may have either one or two handles to close. They will usually indicate the bypass position.

If it is a three valve bypass constructed onsite, it will not be labeled but two will need to be closed and the third is to be opened.
thanks and ok I did close it but the water is still murky coming to the house, I suppose after awhile it will clear up?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds more like you need to run the well at full for about 3 days straight, no off time.... flush the well.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Many wells will have sediment, clay, turbidity issues etc. Can you post the water report? This will usually have a SDI/color report included.

_John_

Reaction score
a greyish sediment sounds like the well may not be fully developed. If it is that and just not a characteristic of the water, then running water as mentioned is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks