bypass shower doors

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by JEP, Mar 3, 2006.

1. JEP

JEP New Member

I'm not sure this is the right place in the forum for this but here goes. I'm installing bypass shower doors on a standard 5' tub. The upper and lower tracks need to be cut. Any tricks, or ideas on how to get real nice straight cuts on these? Is there something better to use that a hacksaw that will give me a more square cut? Would some kind of blade in a chop saw do it?
  2. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

i use a regular blade in a chop saw. just cut real slow and wear glasses. then a file on the rough edge. perfect cut!
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A small miter box and hacksaw will work OK, but work slowly. Use a file to remove any rough or sharp edges.
  4. JEP

JEP New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to give the chop saw a shot. I'll do a test cut on the very end to see how it goes.

Sulconst2 - Do you face the top (solid) side up or the track side up when you cut - or doesn't it make a difference?
  5. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

solid side up would probably be better just go slow. don't forget the glasses! :eek:
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've cut two of those with a 60-tooth blade on a radial arm saw. The carbide can handle the aluminum fine, but go slow so you don't bog down or overheat anything.
  7. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

definitely the way to go. its finish work. really sticks out if its a bad cut. been using a chop saw for years on these. just turn your head cause it spits metal all over. but the cut is sweet!
  8. JEP

JEP New Member

Cut like butter. Thanks guys.