Windows XP SP3
530J Pentium 4 processor w/hyper-threading technology
3.0GHz Speed, 1MB L2 cache, 800 MHz front side bus
1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM Memory
200 GB 7200 RPM serial ATA hard drive
Intel Graphics Media accelerator 900
with up to 128 MB shared video memory

That is a nice computer.

If you have the original software installed it should go thru a system check every 30 days.

The test will give you a message if it finds any problems.

You should also have a complete backup of the original OS on the second partition of the hard drive.

Kiko

Reaction score
At the time (2005), it was one of the best available. I think I paid a grand for the tower alone at BB. [My mother just bought a new HP with 5x the memory and HD space for $400.] Aside from the broken plastic heat-sink mount, I've had no problems with mine.

I was wondering, if I did eventually replace the CPU or mother board, do I have to reprogram anything? Will there be prompts on the monitor or will I have to enter something at startup?

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
if you get a cpu that will work with the same mother board. no you should get any problems
You you change motherboard n cpu. you will not have any probs
its not the 1980's when everything had to be messed with. Most everything ir plug n play

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Major Hardware changes not allowed

if you get a cpu that will work with the same mother board. no you should get any problems
You you change motherboard n cpu. you will not have any probs
its not the 1980's when everything had to be messed with. Most everything ir plug n play

That is not exactly true.

XP considers a CPU or Motherboard a Major Hardware change, and the XP OS software would have to be re-licensed.

That is to protect people from installing Microsoft OEM software on another computer, even on the same Model. (Of course there is a work around if you are a pirate)

Chances of the CPU or Motherboard going bad are slim, unless you get a lightning strike. The capacitors on that motherboard do go bad, but can be replaced with better ones. The CMOS battery may need replaced soon.

Sometimes it is cheaper and less hassle to buy a new computer with a new supported OS.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is not exactly true.

XP considers a CPU or Motherboard a Major Hardware change, and the XP OS software would have to be re-licensed.

That is to protect people from installing Microsoft OEM software on another computer, even on the same Model. (Of course there is a work around if you are a pirate)

Chances of the CPU or Motherboard going bad are slim, unless you get a lightning strike. The capacitors on that motherboard do go bad, but can be replaced with better ones. The CMOS battery may need replaced soon.

Sometimes it is cheaper and less hassle to buy a new computer with a new supported OS.

Kiko,

Howehvuh, if you replace the motherboard and CPU with the exact,very same items as the originals, and no new device drivers are needed, I think that XP will not balk if the Hard Drive and everything else were OK before. Anyway, if you do have the original XP CD, you can, if necessary enter the licence key. If you do not, and the computer will still boot up, you can download and run Magical Jellybean Keyfinder (I kid you not), which will show you on screen the key number of the installed
Windows.
http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

some antivirus software thinks this a virus, but if you download it from CNET as in the link, it will be clean for sure.

I hope this is helpful to you.

By the way, Don's last sentence is Supreme. I realize you said you are out of work right now, and if I had an old working PC, I would send it to you as a gift.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
The problem is that everything has a serial number, CPU, ROM, RAM and even hard drives, and thumb drives. The Windows HAL has a lot of info and Windows will refer to it when it sees any hardware change. Even floppys get serial numbers when you format them under a Windows XP OS.

I have had many systems that stopped working just because I used to many different External USB hard drives.

Hard drives are considered a minor hardware upgrade, but multiple minor hardware upgrades = Major upgrade.

Then Microsoft wants you to call, so that you can get a code to make it work again. Even if you have your original Key Code.

I wrote software to get around the issue, and it just makes a backup of the hidden files that Microsoft uses to track system changes.

It is Part of my WinForce Control Panel software.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The problem is that everything has a serial number, CPU, ROM, RAM and even hard drives, and thumb drives. The Windows HAL has a lot of info and Windows will refer to it when it sees any hardware change. Even floppys get serial numbers when you format them under a Windows XP OS.

I have had many systems that stopped working just because I used to many different External USB hard drives.

Hard drives are considered a minor hardware upgrade, but multiple minor hardware upgrades = Major upgrade.

Then Microsoft wants you to call, so that you can get a code to make it work again. Even if you have your original Key Code.

I wrote software to get around the issue, and it just makes a backup of the hidden files that Microsoft uses to track system changes.

It is Part of my WinForce Control Panel software.

Well you fix PC's for a living. Me, its just a hobby. may the force be with you!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Your living is better than mine.

I still have and use a 286.

But it has a Turbo button.

Never had an "AT". Back then I made the quantum leap from my Tandy 8086 to a 386 (or did Tandy use the 8088?)That 386 was my first Home built PC. I remembering paying 1100 bucks just for the motherboard . Whoo Hooo! expanded memory and all. DOS all for now Don.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Well Im sorry for forgetting the upgrade thing with windows. I only ran xp for 1 yr before i stopped running windows. I think this was one of the many reasons I didnt like it. I was always adding n removing things. lol I think i tested a bunch of video cards n audio cards. Plus trying crap loads of anti viruses. What a head ache.

DonL

Reaction score
Well Im sorry for forgetting the upgrade thing with windows. I only ran xp for 1 yr before i stopped running windows. I think this was one of the many reasons I didnt like it. I was always adding n removing things. lol I think i tested a bunch of video cards n audio cards. Plus trying crap loads of anti viruses. What a head ache.

I know that XP SP3 was supposed to fix the problem of hardware upgrades, But I did not like the Spyware that XP SP3 has.

XP SP2 works with little spyware and I do not think that any XP versions are supported anymore, as far as I know.

I have tested Windows 8, but I have not determined if it is any better than Win 7 yet, More spyware I would guess.

Big Brother is controlling, and not just watching anymore...

Kiko

Reaction score
Kiko,

Howehvuh, if you replace the motherboard and CPU with the exact,very same items as the originals, and no new device drivers are needed, I think that XP will not balk if the Hard Drive and everything else were OK before. Anyway, if you do have the original XP CD, you can, if necessary enter the licence key. If you do not, and the computer will still boot up, you can download and run Magical Jellybean Keyfinder (I kid you not), which will show you on screen the key number of the installed
Windows.
http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

some antivirus software thinks this a virus, but if you download it from CNET as in the link, it will be clean for sure.

I hope this is helpful to you.

By the way, Don's last sentence is Supreme. I realize you said you are out of work right now, and if I had an old working PC, I would send it to you as a gift.

Actually, my old HP is still humming along just fine.
I made a "recovery" DVD, when I first bought this and there is a separate hard drive with the same thing I think.

As for replacement parts, I found the exact CPU for 10.00, the exact motherboard for 30.00, the exact power supply for 30.00, but I could not find the exact hard drive. That could be a deal-breaker if it is too expensive. The best thing would be to find a clone of my computer somewhere and then I could cannibalize it, whenever something goes bad.

I was also wondering why you couldn't just replace whatever burned out on the motherboard, without replacing the whole thing. The compute repair guy said that no one in the repair business does that because there is no money in that. Once they remove the motherboard, they just go ahead and replace it, regardless if it is just a bad capacitor, resistor, etc. I have a nice soldering iron and I'm sure I could unsolder and resolder a cap, etc, if I knew which one was bad.

Last edited:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
" I have a nice soldering iron and I'm sure I could unsolder and resolder a cap, etc, if I knew which one was bad. "

good luck with that..

there is no money in that. i used to repair playstation 2's for sony. they canned us all and shipped them to mexico to be cannibalized and 'repaired' there. component level troubleshooting is a loosing venture, unless you have very expensive things to repair.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
and I do not think that any XP versions are supported anymore, as far as I know.

Well, that is not quite right:
[h=2]End of support[/h]
End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go toMicrosoft Support Lifecycle.
Desktop operating systemsLatest service packEnd of mainstream supportEnd of extended support
Windows XP
Service Pack 3
April 14, 2009
April 8, 2014
Windows Vista
Service Pack 2
April 10, 2012
April 11, 2017
Windows 7
Service Pack 1
January 12, 2015
January 14, 2020

aquadood

Reaction score
Well, that is not quite right:
[h=2]End of support[/h]
End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go toMicrosoft Support Lifecycle.
Desktop operating systemsLatest service packEnd of mainstream supportEnd of extended support
Windows XP
Service Pack 3
April 14, 2009
April 8, 2014
Windows Vista
Service Pack 2
April 10, 2012
April 11, 2017
Windows 7
Service Pack 1
January 12, 2015
January 14, 2020

I believe don means that its unsupported by software publishers. If you try to get support for windows XP from microsoft directly, they will tell you to upgrade to windows 7, vista is the same story. After working with Microsoft for so long its obvious that they don't want people using older products.

I can pretty much say that newer software will not work 100% on windows XP due to the 4GB limitation, processor limitations and other limitations. Though there is a 64 bit version of XP, its not a general consumer product as it a professional version.

DonL

Reaction score
Win XP SP3 is a Teaser

I knew that XP SP3 would be semi supported but most hardware manufactures may not support its use, as it makes a computer more like a vista machine. And they can sell you a new computer.

SP3 makes many older computers unusable, because of all the Overhead that XP SP3 requires.

The Swap File will normally Triple using SP3, and with the Lack of RAM you are using your hard drive for memory.

Then You realize You need to buy a new computer, So you can watch You Tube Videos.

IF a person likes XP SP3 then they should just buy a new computer with Win 7 on it.

And keep the old computer and run XP SP2 on it for something useful like a Video Security System, or a UNIX based system to play and hack with.

SP3 will screw up a good computer that was Only designed for XP SP1. But SP2 normally works without problems.

Win XP 64 should not have a problem with SP3, because the hardware is made for it, and you can add RAM.

Win XP SP3 is a Joke on a x86 32 bit system. At least that is how I see it.

Win XP SP3 is just a Teaser to make you buy a new computer. And it works most of the time.

Send me your old computers. lol

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I knew that XP SP3 would be semi supported but most hardware manufactures may not support its use, as it makes a computer more like a vista machine. And they can sell you a new computer.

SP3 makes many older computers unusable, because of all the Overhead that XP SP3 requires.

The Swap File will normally Triple using SP3, and with the Lack of RAM you are using your hard drive for memory.

Then You realize You need to buy a new computer, So you can watch You Tube Videos.

IF a person likes XP SP3 then they should just buy a new computer with Win 7 on it.

And keep the old computer and run XP SP2 on it for something useful like a Video Security System, or a UNIX based system to play and hack with.

SP3 will screw up a good computer that was Only designed for XP SP1. But SP2 normally works without problems.

Win XP 64 should not have a problem with SP3, because the hardware is made for it, and you can add RAM.

Win XP SP3 is a Joke on a x86 32 bit system. At least that is how I see it.

Win XP SP3 is just a Teaser to make you buy a new computer. And it works most of the time.

Send me your old computers. lol
Actually Don, The PC I use at work (one I'm on right now) runs XP pro SP3. It has only 3 GB of RAM and the pagefile is set to half of that. I have always liked XP including service pack 3, and never had any problem with it at all. My PC's at home run Win7 64 Bit, which I also like very much, but I have several programs that just will not run well, if at all on 7 even in XP compatiblity mode, one is my forever favorite photo program Compupic Pro (from 2003) lol. Nothing new I've tried do I like as much as that one.

I tried the Win 8 trial and absolutely hated it. I don't have enough time to play with that piece of crap as it is and try to customize it. It is, even to me, who is an experienced, but not expert user, very unintuitive and ugly as hell. I restored my win7 image back on to my laptop after messing around with 8 for maybe 2 hours or so. I said "WTF" to myself and wonder how Microsoft intends to make it more user friendly and prettier. Again WTF? Have you tried it out?

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Win x86 Compatibility is a Joke on 64 bit system

Bob,

XP Pro and Media Center systems may be a different story.

I was meaning Home and that flavor of XP. Even XP Pro is missing a lot compared to Pro Vista and Win7.

The original XP Home used a much smaller swap file and SP3 can use a lot of your ram just loading the register file. Just look at how much space a Restore Point takes.

I am working on a compatible app for the WinForce Control Panel that will make the older XP software work on the new systems. The Win Compatibility is a Joke, and I have yet to see it work for running a 32 bit app on a 64 bit machine. Please let me know if you have had better Luck.

I have been able to make all of my older software run on newer systems using some software tricks and reg edits.

Running Win98 apps on Windows 8 can be done, But I have removed 98 software support because very few people use it, and I had to write too much code just to support it.

I just hate how they make you buy something that you don't really need.

If you have good hardware, You can make the software work.

When you run win 98 on a new computer it takes about 3-6 seconds to boot.

Wonder if the new OS's have a little overhead ?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks