Buying new toilets

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Cygarbuff, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Cygarbuff

Cygarbuff New Member

If anyone could throw me any info I would appreciate it. I just bought a house (new construction) and I need 3 toilets. I was choosing between American Standard and Kohler. I want something with a powerful flush that isn't incredibly loud. The house I live in now was new construction 2 years ago and the toilets suck. They need to be flushed twice. What good is 1.6 gpf if I have to flush twice. They were chosen by the contractor and I'm sure they were the cheapest economy toilets. They were from Eljer. I don't want to end up with the same toilets so I will choose my own this time. The Champion from American Standard seems to be the best choice but we don't like the height of the tank. We are looking to spend around $150-$250 per toilet. My wife likes the Serif from Kohler. Anyone know any pros or cons about that model. Any and all feedback about any toilet will benefit me making the right decision. Thank you
    Jay
  2. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Terry's Toilet Report

Terry's evaluation of toilets on this site is the best I know off. Plumbers are in controversy about which ones are good flushers. We all seem to like Toto. Many of us do not like American-Standard or Kohlers but there are others that do. I recommend Eljer as the third best flusher to my customers and appreciate knowing that you had problems with one. I prefer St. Thomas and others like the Gerbers, Mansfields and others.
    There also seems to be a difference in the same name toilets coming from the plumbers and the box stores. There's a lot of toilets that get taken back to the box stores. Toto if you want to see it Go, Away.