Buying a new sump pump - Zoeller with aftermarket switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I've searched the archives here regarding replacing a sump pump. We're closing on our new house and the sump pump is shot. I don't recall the horsepower. It is a split-level house (in Massachusetts) in which the basement is finished living space. The sump pit is in the furnace room.
Anyhow, The Zoeller M53 seems to get rave reviews on this forum, but people mention buying without the switch and instead using an aftermarket vertical float switch.
I've seen the pump listed at online retailers, but have not noticed an option to forgo the switch. For my purpose, is it important to use an aftermarket switch? Is the installation of the switch straightforward?

Thanks
PnG

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
IMO, the main benefit of installing a separate switch is that one can then adjust the cut-in and cut-out levels of the motor to maximize the run time and minimize the number of cycles.

There is no way to know how much it would help your installation until it is known how much the sump runs and what the water levels in the basin should be maintained at. Some houses have sumps that never or hardly ever run while others run 365 days a year.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your pump does not come with a switch it may have a cord with a plug. When it is plugged into a receptacle the pump runs. To control the pump automatically you can use a float switch. The float come with a long cord and a piggy back plug. The float is plugged into a receptacle and then the pump plug is plugged into it. There is a company called "Little Giant Switches" that makes this type of float switch. They are easy to install.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Thanks. From what I've seen of the sump pit there, it doesn't run often. Perhaps I will be ok with the factory switch on the M53.

Bubb1957

Reaction score
The Zoeller with the switch attached is indeed the M53. You can also find the N53 which is the version without a switch. Do a google search for the SJE Vertical Master Pump Switch. Easy to change out if/when it fails and you can set the levels you want for pump on and off.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Even if you get the pump with the installed float switch, you can always add an aftermarket switch like the Vertical Master later if you find a reason to. This is what I use in my own basement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks