Burnt Pump Motor

Users who are viewing this thread

Traveller

Reaction score
I understand you're dilema, and to answer your question, yes, the 2" 50 gpm Dole valve, will do a great job at keeping this pump at 50 gpm...then you can walk away AFTER you do 2 more things though...1) install a flow sleeve...proper size is 4"
2) make sure the well will sustain the yield...because if it won't, pulling the well down and pulling air will still cause damage to the pump even with the flow sleeve.

Thank you for your answer. I'm quite sure the well will sustain the yield of 50 gpm, although the first thing I plan to do, after the setup is complete, is a proper drawdown test. The town water system I operate has a 35' deep well, in the same gravel aquifer, about 300 yards from this well. Its 5 hp submersible pump, pumping against a 240' head to a reservoir, is only 23' from ground level and has barely a measurable drawdown. It produces at a steady 44 gpm.

Just in case, though, I plan to make sure the VFD is programmed to detect the drop in amperage from low water and is also programmed to shut the pump down at this point.

About the flow inducing sleeve, would a 4" sleeve be a tight fit on a 4" pump? How does this much water get through such a tiny space?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just in case, though, I plan to make sure the VFD is programmed to detect the drop in amperage from low water and is also programmed to shut the pump down at this point.

Then you should also be able to set the max Hz so the pump can’t produce more than 35 or 50 GPM. Any kind of restrictor, depending on where it is installed in relation to the pressure transducer, can cause problems with the set point. But at this point we are just guessing as to the cause of failure. If pumping the well dry or deadheading isn’t the problem, the transducer or the VFD itself might be the reason for the failure.

About the flow inducing sleeve, would a 4" sleeve be a tight fit on a 4" pump? How does this much water get through such a tiny space?

I know that is a tight fit, but I have tested it to have very little restriction at less than 60 GPM.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks