Burning Smell & Banging When Turn Dryer On

Users who are viewing this thread

Thewaltwhitmans

Reaction score
Dryer has been sitting for a few months, before that no problems. Went to hook it up today and when I turned it on I smelled a burning smell and heard a lot of thumping/rumbling noise coming from the dryer.
Any thoughts?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
May be a drum bearing.

I would not operate it or you may burn your element out.

I assume it is electric and not gas ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two things, it may need a really good cleaning of the dryer itself and the vent line. Especially if you use a plastic or corregated vent - those both trap lots of lint and end up costing much more and lengthen the drying cycle times. Depending on how it is put together, you may need a long brush, an air compressor, or you may be able to poke things out or vacuum the lines. Dryer lint is a major cause of fires, and is a likely reason you may smell something buring.

Regarding the thumping...open the door, and push up on the dryer drum near the front of the dryer. If it moves much at all, it probably needs a new idler wheel(s) and bearing assembly. Last time I needed one, it was less than $10. On my old dryer, it was an easy, fairly quick fix since the front cabinet face was designed to easily come off. One bolt, the thing was off, stick the new one in, adjust the play out of the system, tighten it back up and you were done. If it's the main bearing rather than the idler wheel(s) (there are often two), I've never replaced one of those. the other thing it could be is the drive belt is breaking up, and that's fairly easy to replace as well.

There isn't too much else, but with the cover off, it should become fairly obvious. Course, you could always pay a repairman, too!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Two things, it may need a really good cleaning of the dryer itself and the vent line. Especially if you use a plastic or corregated vent - those both trap lots of lint and end up costing much more and lengthen the drying cycle times. Depending on how it is put together, you may need a long brush, an air compressor, or you may be able to poke things out or vacuum the lines. Dryer lint is a major cause of fires, and is a likely reason you may smell something buring.

Regarding the thumping...open the door, and push up on the dryer drum near the front of the dryer. If it moves much at all, it probably needs a new idler wheel(s) and bearing assembly. Last time I needed one, it was less than $10. On my old dryer, it was an easy, fairly quick fix since the front cabinet face was designed to easily come off. One bolt, the thing was off, stick the new one in, adjust the play out of the system, tighten it back up and you were done. If it's the main bearing rather than the idler wheel(s) (there are often two), I've never replaced one of those. the other thing it could be is the drive belt is breaking up, and that's fairly easy to replace as well.

There isn't too much else, but with the cover off, it should become fairly obvious. Course, you could always pay a repairman, too!
Good advice Jim My old, old GE electric dryer was even easier to replace the rear bushing: just remove the metal retainer cap screwed onto the back of the dryer and replace the plastic sleeve bushing. The bulk of the actual weight of the drum was supported by the rollers on the frame and the drive belt was easy to replace too. Then we replaced the old, old GE dryer with our old GE dryer where you had to remove the shell of the dryer to do anything down lower than the operating panel a big PITA. In 2009, we bought new LG Washer and dryer with Direct drive motor in the with some sort of inverter drive. Those units have too much electronics and goodies in them, but my wife likes all the features they have, and even uses one or 2 of them. I never normally buy extended warranties on anything, but did on those. :eek:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Be Very careful working with the Spring Steel Belt tensioner if that is what your model has. They can cut you bad, Wear Gloves.

Most have Teflon on the front of the drum, and you can lube with Teflon spay, If you can still get it.

The smell of Rubber, is different than the smell of a hot element. If you smell rubber than something is dragging.

If it is the Idler, than you can Lube it , until you can get a new belt and pulley. I have had good luck using Synthetic Transmission fluid, Just do not get it on the belt.

What are you smelling ?

And what happened to the cat ? lol

Have a great day.

Good Luck on your project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks