Burnham Gas Boiler-Series 2 (model B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Musiclvr56

Reaction score
First time putting heat on and noticed that the pilot wasn't lit. Followed instructions-...."hold reset button for about one minutes after the pilot is lit..." It didn't remain lit.

It said if the light goes out, to repeat all the steps. My son "didn't want to mess with it" so he didn't repeat all the steps.

The boiler is 19 years old-was told that the average life is 30 years.

Thank you,
Karen

Musiclvr56

Reaction score
Thank you. I am told before I replace the thermocouple, to clean the thermocouple if it is dirty. In the past when I have read instructions on e-how, they make it appear more complicated than necessary. What I read on e-how on cleaning the thermocouple is again complicated and overwhelming to me. My friend told me to take a toothbrush to clean it. Again, I appreciate any advice.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If the thing is visibly dirty/sooty on the business end that's constantly in the flame you can sometimes revive it with a plastic scouring pad (Scotchbrite or similar), or VERY lightly touching it up with #400 grit sandpaper.

But after nearly a couple decades of use it's really going to be a temporary fix at best- something to keep you warm while you run off to the hardware store to buy a new one (or wait for the internet-store delivery.) Flame sensors don't last forever, and it's common to have to replace them even at 15 years. A new thermocouple would probably last for the remainder of the useful service life of a P20x Burnham.

Boilers don't last forever either- by age 30 even if it's not leaking it's usually more cost effective to be rid of the thing and buy something right-sized for the actual loads rather than constantly replacing the aging failing control components, and cleaning up the corroding heat exchanger plates that are eating away at efficiency etc. Most existing cast iron boilers out there are grotesquely oversized for the heating loads, which takes a toll on both efficiency and comfort (and sometimes longevity of the boiler.) But a $10-20 thermocouple at age 19 is still worth it- you may get another decade out of the thing before something more expensive fails.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks