Burnham Alpine 105 boiler ignition issues

Users who are viewing this thread

jdog_kustoms

Reaction score
I have had trouble with this boiler since new big regret getting it but anyways the latest issue has me lost and i am a certified HVAC tech not a home owner my boiler wont light off all the time and locks out on ignition failure code #11

I have 14 inches of gas pressure when gas valve is closed and 11 when i do get it to run and burn
have new igniter and good spark
cleaned the flame rod

I have been having issues since new had to replace the igniter boot under a recall then replace the hole saga board and igniter boot again also under recall but i can never get the boiler to work all heating season with out having to keep resetting it but now it needs reset all the time

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Jac04

Reaction score
I would suggest looking at the gas piping system. It may be undersized resulting in gas supply issues.

I too currently have ignition issues with a propane boiler. First, the piping was way undersized and the regulator couldn't keep up. Ignition was always a big problem, and it would sometimes lock out on ignition failure. Then, the supply piping was upsized (by the plumber) and a hi/low regulator system was installed (by the propane company). This helped a lot, but I still have intermittent ignition problems, and if any other propane appliance is running, I have bigtime ignition issues. I'm trying to get this fixed now, as the propane supplier says the supply piping is still too small.

My static and running gas pressures look good as well, but I definitely have gas supply issues, and I think you do too.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If Gas pressure is good at the unit, Then you may want to look at the spark gap and positioning.

Good Luck.

jdog_kustoms

Reaction score
I have 3/4 inch black iron from tanks to the boiler reduced to 1/2 about 4 foot from the boiler and only have the boiler running off of the line and i have replaced the igniter and still have the same issue and checked the gap it is to factory specs

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
i have 3/4 inch black iron from tanks to the boiler reduced to 1/2 about 4 foot from the boiler and only have the boiler running off of the line and i have replaced the ignitor and still have the same issue and checked the gap it is to factory specs

That still don't tell you that the unit is getting the proper amount of gas.

I hope you are adding a little air too. Maybe a safety has you hosed, well it is just working.

Good Luck.

brrrinvt

Reaction score
Have an alp 285. No heat for several days and no one could diagnose the problem. Fist they said it was the board, then the gas valve then gas line.
After several trips by professionals I went on you tube. bypassed the temp sensor and I have heat again !

Ron Beck

Reaction score
What O2 are you running in high and low fire?
The igniter gap is 4.5mm +/- 0.5mm. The distance of the igniter and flame rod is 5/16" from the burner.
Are you seeing any rust on the inside of the right side panel?
Is the boiler vented in PVC? One pipe or two pipe venting?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks