burnham alpine 105 boiler ignition issues

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by jdog_kustoms, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jdog_kustoms

jdog_kustoms New Member

i have had trouble with this boiler since new big regret getting it but anyways the latest issue has me lost and i am a certified hvac tech not a home owner my boiler wont light off all the time and locks out on ignition falure code #11

i have 14 inches of gas pressure when gas valve is closed and 11 when i do get it to run and burn
    have new ignitor and good spark
    cleaned the flame rod

i have been having issues since new had to replace the ignitor boot under a recall then replace the hole saga board and ignitor boot again also under recall but i can never get the boiler to work all heating season with out having to keep reseting it but now it needs reset all the time

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated
  2. jac04

jac04 New Member

I would suggest looking at the gas piping system. It may be undersized resulting in gas supply issues.

I too currently have ignition issues with a propane boiler. First, the piping was way undersized and the regulator couldn't keep up. Ignition was always a big problem, and it would sometimes lock out on ignition failure. Then, the supply piping was upsized (by the plumber) and a hi/low regulator system was installed (by the propane company). This helped a lot, but I still have intermittent ignition problems, and if any other propane appliance is running, I have bigtime ignition issues. I'm trying to get this fixed now, as the propane supplier says the supply piping is still too small.

My static and running gas pressures look good as well, but I definitely have gas supply issues, and I think you do too.
  3. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

If Gas pressure is good at the unit, Then you may want to look at the spark gap and positioning.

Good Luck.
  4. jdog_kustoms

jdog_kustoms New Member

i have 3/4 inch black iron from tanks to the boiler reduced to 1/2 about 4 foot from the boiler and only have the boiler running off of the line and i have replaced the ignitor and still have the same issue and checked the gap it is to factory specs
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

That still don't tell you that the unit is getting the proper amount of gas.

I hope you are adding a little air too. Maybe a safety has you hosed, well it is just working.

Good Luck.