Burners for Making Maple Syrup

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi,

I usually use firewood when I make Maple Syrup, but I'm thinking about using a propane fueled system. This would allow me to set up burners under my 30" by 48" stainless steel pan.
Where can I get such burners? Can I simply use burners from a grill? Safety is very important to me.

Thanks for any replies,

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
You could probably build something out of gas grill burners. Good time to buy up leftovers if you can find any. My guess at the simplest is just take the lid off and put them under the pan. However many it takes. Leave a way for exhaust gases to vent. If you were using wood you probably have a way. Carbon monoxide build up in a closed room is a real bad thing (you die).

I would leave some space between the grill body and the pan to avoid explosions when starting. You probably need to run a gas line to each grill's regulator. Sharing a regulator is likely to fail. They are simple devices and without knowing if they can regulate properly with additional load you should use the ones that came with each grill.

You could also probably use those infrared propane heaters or space heaters. They have some nice large rectangular ones. Have to make sure they won't turn themselves off from overheating. A salamander is probably too annoying. If electricity is cheap; you can do that.

Observe standard rational practices concerning nearby flammable materials, explosion nurturing, combustion air supply, combustion product venting, not licking the burner or adjacent metal. Make sure gas piping is properly sealed (explosion thing again).

Your results are your own responsibility; not mine.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The average 40 or 50 gallon gas water heater uses a burner that is rated at around 40,000 BTU. if you convert it over to propane it may work well for you...I am replacing a heater this week with a 76,000 BTU burner that is cast Iron I think and if you want it I can mail it to you...

Molo

Reaction score
The average 40 or 50 gallon gas water heater uses a burner that is rated at around 40,000 BTU. if you convert it over to propane it may work well for you...I am replacing a heater this week with a 76,000 BTU burner that is cast Iron I think and if you want it I can mail it to you...

Thanks Cass,
I believe in taking responsibility for your own actions and the safety would be my responsibility. I appreciate your offer and would compensate you for any expenses. Do you know a ballpark figure on the propane conversion?

Thanks!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have no Idea but I will get you the brand name and you can call and find out...I don't remember the brand as I have looked at to many lately. I think it was A.O.Smith but not positive...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would use a Reznor or Modine gas unit heater. Cut off 3/4 of the heat exchanger and mount it under the kettle.

Molo

Reaction score
My stainless steel pan is about 4" deep, by 2.5 feet wide, by 4 feet long and I need heat under the entire area.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
My stainless steel pan is about 4" deep, by 2.5 feet wide, by 4 feet long and I need heat under the entire area.

I do not know much about gas-burner configurations, but I believe you are going to have a lot of difficulty getting the even heat you need. My boss uses wood and has recently re-worked his arch to get a better spread, and I cannot imagine how he would ever do that with burners.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Buy Log Cabin and tell everyone you made it.

Isn't that one of those companies that sells maple flavored corn syrup...

smilenpuke.gif

http://www.vermontmaple.org/learnaboutmaplesyrup.html

Last edited:

tourne

Reaction score
Maple syrup

I use a 3 burner heavy duty camp stove I bought at a yard sale. I think Cabela's sells them. They have 3 big burners in a row. I use one for a big enamel kettle and use one other to pre-heat the sap that I add to the big kettle so it keeps on boiling. It works well and if you can fashion a 3 foot by 20 inch stainless steel rectangular evaporator it would go faster.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
They make gas log lighters for fireplaces. They are just a piece of 1/2" black pipe with holes drilled in it. It has a small threaded box on one end that you can adjust how much air is mixed with fuel.

If you have the tools just cut and thread some 1/2 or if it will be a long run some 3/4 black pipe and cap one end. Then drill holes the same size and spacing as the original log lighter. You will want to talk with your gas supplier about an adjustable regulator so you can get enough gas flow for you application.

You can also buy a propane version from this place. http://123grill.com/viewprd.asp?idcategory=5873&idproduct=47060

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Propane

Propane is not a very forgiving fuel for do it yourself burner applications. Do NOT even consider using anything which does not have BOTH a pilot burner AND a safety shut off valve. Once you have those two items, almost any CAST IRON, not stamped steel, burner will work as long as it has a propane orifice in it. You might even consider a fire ring so the heat is distributed away from the center of the pot.

Mike Neibert

Reaction score
My maple syrup pan is 30x60 and i used 3 15inch turkey fryers welded up in a frame spaced equally apart,each fryer has its own regulator and shut off valve for safety,it takes less than a half hour to bring 35 gallons of sap to a boil and once boiling i turn the 2 outside burners down to conserve propane and sap stays at a steady boil. i found my fryers online in the damaged-open box section for around 30.00 a piece.its more efficient than wood and alot less work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The energy source used by Canadian maple syrup producers need to be as cheap or free as possible, or else the retail pricing for this product would be astronomical.

Wood is always from their own dead foilage in their fields and surroundings, and if they need more near the end of the season, they get it very cheap from local suppliers for minimum transporation costs.

If you are a DIY hobbyist, then by all means go for luxury with the propane and any other fancy equipment, otherwise you need to look at your books and you will discover why wood stoves are the way to go when it comes to maple syrups.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Y'all realize this is a 7+ year old thread, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks